Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Unorthodox move in a live game

[ QUOTE ]
Unorthodox, but it's a tough hand to play. Why not make a standard raise to get rid of Ax and KJ, and go from there? Caveat: I'm weak-tight live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I want to get rid of Ax and KJ? I'm beating both those hands.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that this kind of raise might just get called by a huge stack looking for an easy gamble at 80 bucks, and AJ with a huge stack might just make that call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fantastic; AJ calling here is +EV for me (slightly +EV, but the $3 in blinds doesn't give AJ the necessary overlay to take the wrong side of a 55/45 propositon).

[ QUOTE ]
I say standard raise to define your opposition, see the flop in position, and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard with this hand would be to raise, take a flop, and play it from there. The odd all-in overbet here came just because I happened to pick up a good hand right after my comment about how I should push all-in since nobody else was willing to.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:30 PM

Me no likey... play some poker.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Results and rationale

I made this move based on the fact that my push would get significantly less respect due to my previous comment. Button and SB mucked pretty quickly and BB asked how much it was. As the dealer counted it down, I kept up the chatter with the guy who had folded the previous hand, saying stuff like "see, this is easy, you just push the chips in and then you don't have to worry anymore" and other lighthearted coffeehousing. BB is smart enough to know that my bravado could be a "don't call me" act or a reverse-reverse psychology "please call me" act. He finally said, "all right, I call". I flipped up my tens, he didn't show but, from his body language, I'm fairly sure he had a smaller pair. The board came 9724Q, he mucked, and I doubled through.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Results and rationale

risky.

unless these players are stupid, i'm sure this is going to be -EV in the long run

but i guess you had fun doing it and that is what is important, break up the monotony [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
risky.

unless these players are stupid, i'm sure this is going to be -EV in the long run

but i guess you had fun doing it and that is what is important, break up the monotony [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

One benefit of weird off-the-wall plays is that you never see the long run [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. The nerdiest part of it all was that, as BB was deliberating, I decided I'd post the hand here no matter what the result (as all the decision-making on my part had been done by then, the results were essentially irrelevant). Obviously, if somebody woke up with AA-JJ, I'd look like a complete idiot, but the potential of getting called by a worse hand due to my table presence at the time made it an interesting situation IMO.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:10 PM

fair play.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 PM

It's unorthodox, but not that risky since you only had 40 BB.

If everyone reacts perfectly to this push, you have about a 6% chance to lose $50 on average, and a 94% chance to win $3. That means you roughly break even if you turn your TT face up.

Since you don't show the TT as you push, you might get JJ or QQ to fold, or you might get called by a smaller pair, or someone with AK might call (you gain $8 relative to picking up the blinds).
Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's unorthodox, but not that risky since you only had 40 BB.

If everyone reacts perfectly to this push, you have about a 6% chance to lose $50 on average, and a 94% chance to win $3. That means you roughly break even if you turn your TT face up.

Since you don't show the TT as you push, you might get JJ or QQ to fold, or you might get called by a smaller pair, or someone with AK might call (you gain $8 relative to picking up the blinds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for doing the math; I meant to do it but didn't get around to it at work. My at-the-table instincts felt TT was close to being +EV; if I'd had nines, I don't think I would've done it and, with a bigger pair, I would've been more comfortable.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:21 PM

Wait, you looked at the cards BEFORE pushing? Cheater...
Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 PM

Your opponents would have to be complete morons to believe that you're going to push with any two cards simply because of anything you said prior to the hand. And even if they do happen to believe that you're pushing here with trash, they still need a pretty good hand to call you with. And you're not a favorite against that range of hands.