Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: AJo against a good, aggressive opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just plain spewing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your line, then?

It's very likely that he has a vulnerable hand that he'd like to fold the field on, given his flop checkraise. So I think JTs is out. He didn't 3-bet preflop, which he would do with AK and AQ. So they're out. That leaves KQ, weaker Aces (like AT), AJ (chop-chop).

He's significantly more likely to checkraise the flop with a weaker hand. Checkraising the turn is generally a strongish hand, but he'd play top pair like this in a similar way.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

This board sucks for protecting your hand. You can't protect your hand unless you have the best hand to start. Villian's play here is bad. The flop cr is bad. The turn cr is bad. But you don't have a great hand. So you should call down after the turn cr.

The line villian choose isn't a thinking players line. Because of this, I don't think you can hand read it effectively. Because I can't hand read it effectively I think calling is best. I don't like pumping hands that are played strangly. Strangly played hands are often bluffs or monsters.

Krishan
Old 05-18-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just plain spewing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your line, then?

It's very likely that he has a vulnerable hand that he'd like to fold the field on, given his flop checkraise. So I think JTs is out. He didn't 3-bet preflop, which he would do with AK and AQ. So they're out. That leaves KQ, weaker Aces (like AT), AJ (chop-chop).

He's significantly more likely to checkraise the flop with a weaker hand. Checkraising the turn is generally a strongish hand, but he'd play top pair like this in a similar way.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

How about KJ, AT ? I really think villian would have bet out a very strong hand like 2 pair on the turn. He probably thinks you are capable of raising a weak ace, for a free showdown, and will probably call with a good King and better. So he sees the possibility of 3-betting the turn with a very strong hand as a better alternative to check/raising. So I really can't put villian on a super strong hand here. The river is pretty interesting when he checks, but I think I spew and try to squeeze out another value bet. If he can pull the check-raise on 3 straight streets I can live with folding to a river check/raise.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:36 PM

i gotta say that i like your line for your reasons indicated.

I think on this turn, you can only realistically be behind KQ or A4... unless he did something really out of character with a monster.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:54 PM

Everybody here is saying that the villain's line is indicating weakness. Wouldn't it be a good line for JT or KQ to take against a thinking TAG?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're crushed against JT and AQ, and significantly behind KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
We aren't "crushed" against AQ. We have four outs to the straight and three kings for a chop, so that's worth a little more than five outs and we are getting 9-to-1 to call check-raise, so we should continue. And against KQ we have a dozen outs (aces, jacks, tens, fours).
Old 05-18-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody here is saying that the villain's line is indicating weakness. Wouldn't it be a good line for JT or KQ to take against a thinking TAG?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have JTo here, do you really want to cr the flop to isolate the pfr? The answer is no. You would be devising a sceme to get the most money in the pot. There are other players in the hand to take money from, not just the TAG sitting on the button.

You may do this with KQ, but I think A tag would still rather try to bet/3bet the flop with KQ.

If villain does have KQ that is not desireable, but it is not nearly as bad as JT (as we have several outs vs KQ here vers only a few to a split with JT)... and this villain will almost never have JT and checkraise the flop with this relative position. If he does, he does it when he knows everone likes to call 2 cold and/or is being overly tricky.