Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2002, 12:51 PM

Default Re: A sure sign of a bad player

I sincerely don't think that "waiting" to leave is conducive to playing your best.

Actually in normal situations you SHOULD wait for BB to leave. I just think there
are some exceptions such as the one above. Another exception would be if you are
on tilt.

Suppose you just paid BB and SB, and you decide you're tired and ready to leave.
You get to see the next 8 or so hands for free (paying SB and BB is essentially like
paying ante for the whole round at one time). So since you've already paid ante,
you may as well look at the cards. If you don't like them you can fold. If you get dealt
AA or other such good hand, then you can play it.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:12 PM

Somewhat agree. It would be a little dense to pay the BB and SB and then leave the game. However, with only 3 or 4 hands left to see, I think that you should just go if that is your intention unless you are certain that your play will be absolutely unaffected by your decision to leave. In my experience, I have found that players often tend to "play one for the road", or, they will get AA or KK, lose the hand and then go into chase the money mode to recover the little bit they lost. I have seen moderate wins turned into moderate losses because a player has chosen to stay for "just a few more hands".

Hotchile
Old 12-05-2002, 02:36 PM

Default BAD DISCUSSION !!! SSSHHHHH !!!!!!!!! (nm)

Old 12-05-2002, 03:03 PM

Default Re: BAD DISCUSSION !!! SSSHHHHH !!!!!!!!! (nm)

To guote John McEnroe, "You can't be serious!"

Do you really think bad players are reading 2+2? The subtleties of entering or leaving a game in relation to the blinds are oblivious to these (most?) players, IMO.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:41 PM

I have read your post, which suggests that almost everyone that posts out of position is a bad player, and the other posts, from regular every day players about how this can fake-out players that would notice this kind of thing. As for poster who wishes to keep this discussion secret, you are truly in need of some more poker lessons if this is one of your few poker weapons.

You guys are over-thinking this thing. If it is 4-5, or more, to the BB then post, otherwise catch the BB. If you are nit-like post behind in a ring game.

If you play every day then you are not fooling anyone that would notice, well perhaps, it seems, Tommy R. If you want to see how loose/tight an unknown player is watch carefully what they do in the first few orbits in the SB, BB and 1st-in steal position(button).

Of course, there was a player on PP who would post badly all the time, but would have connection problems a couple of times a day, in good spots, to make up for it, I guess. He used his bad posting as part of his chat defense that it was unintentional as he didn't need the money(Whenever they say it's not about the money, it's about the money. It was strange.

MS Sunshine
Old 12-06-2002, 10:23 AM

MS got this right, imho.

Right on the money...errr...button...errr..right on the head
Old 12-06-2002, 10:39 AM

i just couldnt resist

still friends right granny
Old 12-06-2002, 01:15 PM

Uh-oh Rusty, I don't believe you wanted to do that [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Now _I'LL_ get set on tedious assignments whilst she takes it out on everyone [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2002, 05:03 PM

Default Re: BAD DISCUSSION !!! SSSHHHHH !!!!!!!!! (nm)

I lurk here all the time, and I'm a pretty bad player.

PP
Old 12-06-2002, 09:32 PM

still friends right granny

VERY creative rusty.. for that, i will let you slide with your only penalty being that you must help me lance this boil i have developed in my armpit.

i stopped shaving there 3 weeks ago when it started, so you may have to part the hair to get to it.

now that you have visualized that, back to the topic of this thread.

a couple of years ago, jan fisher wrote an article in CP about exactly this subject (playing to your blind, NOT boils)

anyway, she made the point that once she decides to quit, she always plays to her BB, but her hand requirements are to play top 10 type holdings ONLY.. aa, kk, qq, jj.. etc.

she ended her colum with a comment that said something like "if you see me racking up my chips, and i enter a pot, you BETTER watch out!"

this is awesome advice, and a concept that i have always used as well.

the good thing about playing online is that it works even better. it works better because no one can see you "racking your chips", therefore they have no tell as to the strenghth of your hand.