Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Defending my BB. I think I did this right.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I prefer raising the turn in the last hand. Don't understand what raising the river gets you.

Though given the action, i.e., he'll bet the river even with a missed draw or his pair of tens -- calling the turn is fine. Only reason for raising the turn here would be to get a pair of tens to pay an extra bet, or make a draw pay an extra bet here instead of allowing him to check/fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I was going to just call down. It seems like whenever I raise the turn and I've got the better hand people fold right there and I miss a chance to pick up a bet on the river. This may be because I have been playing 2/4 - 3/6 full at Party and 2/4 short at PS though.

I don't think I would have raised the river if the 6 had not hit. My logic for raising when it did is certainly debatable.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the river raise in hand 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's okay. If you never raise close hands on the river when the board pairs or a scare card hits you'll leave a lot of value on the table. Admittedly this card counterfeits your kicker but in general I don't mind it.

Krishan
Old 05-16-2005, 03:47 PM

I actually don't mind the river raise. This opponent seems like he will lay down when you fight back. All raising the flop or turn would do is chase him away I think. I will sometimes value raise the river after calling the flop and turn against an opponent like this.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the river raise in hand 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's okay. If you never raise close hands on the river when the board pairs or a scare card hits you'll leave a lot of value on the table. Admittedly this card counterfeits your kicker but in general I don't mind it.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I misread then board somehow and thought there was 4 to the straight out there. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I like the raise.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:35 PM

At first I didn't like the river raise much, seemed liked you'd only get called by a hand you beat like a higher A. I'm starting to come around a bit towards liking it a bit more. I feel like you need to get a raise in here somewhere for value. Raising the river after the paired 6 makes it less likely a 2pair or higher A 3-bets you. That being said, it's a lot easier for me to fold to a turn three bet than a river one as I'd be tempted to call down for one more. If I was playing well I'd fold for one more, if on tilt I'd probably call and get shown a monster.

Sorry, rambling. Ni han.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Next orbit, folded around to SB who raises. I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and re-raise, SB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this SOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't always do this. While I usually do, sometimes I just call and raise any flop or if the opponent is fairly aggro but not ridiculous I'll call pf, call flop, raise turn and take a free showdown if I don't hit a pair and the board isn't like KQJx because this way you make your opponent bluff off a lot and sometimes they fold underpairs or 6-outers on the turn. Also it means that they have to call you down the times you call the flop and raise the turn HU with top pair.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:56 PM

I dont like the river raise in hand 2 either. The board pairing means that you are playing the board. No one with a better hand is folding.