Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: worthless kings

to be of any use to op, explain your reasoning and not just your reaction to his move [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2005, 05:09 AM

either bet the flop or go for a checkraise on the flop. I might lean towards check raising here because the field is huge and I don't think 1 bet is gonna make anyone fold, so hopefully someone in middle or late position will bet, then you can raise it and make the others face 2 bets

edit: unfortunately the bet comes from the BB
Old 05-16-2005, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...there is a straight flush draw out there. So i was gonna wait for the turn to see if the turn card be safe then check raise the field to give the drawers bad odds on drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be more concerned about giving a free card to the field than charging them 2 double sized bets.

Stu
Old 05-16-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
either bet the flop or go for a checkraise on the flop. I might lean towards check raising here because the field is huge and I don't think 1 bet is gonna make anyone fold, so hopefully someone in middle or late position will bet, then you can raise it and make the others face 2 bets

edit: unfortunately the bet comes from the BB

[/ QUOTE ]

no one with a draw is going away for 2 bets.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:27 AM

If this represents a typical hand of you playing 3/6, I suggest you move down to the Micros for a while.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 AM

Okay, if capped you can slow down.

But, can you fold, or are you saying call down?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:47 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
does no one agree with this thinking? ive read a whole section on it in both sshe and hefap on where one sometimes waits for the turn before taking any action and the situations described were similar to this hand here, why does it not apply here, where am i going wrong? i do not understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read SSHE or HEFAP in a while, but I believe those examples would have involved hands in which u knew where to expect a bet from and u could actually protect your hand by waiting until the turn to raise. Here, u have no idea where a flop or turn bet will come from. How can u face the field with a double bet when u don't know where a bet will come from? Also, there's not a whole lot u can protect against. a gutshot on the turn is about it. FF will call till the river and OESD are calling till the river. You're BETTING FOR VALUE here. Also, there's not a whole lot u can protect against and u're missing tons of value by not betting this flop.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is waiting for the turn to see what develops and possibly check raise the field good? what about the crying call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Izmet Fekali (who I can't seem to find anymore) said it best: "The big cards dominate early in the hand, but are tortured late by the little cards." This is, in part, an expression of Morton's Theorum (Don't ask me to explain it.)

You almost certainly have the best hand pre-flop, and very likely, your hand is still better than any ONE of your 6 opponents on the flop. But in aggregate, the 6 of them have the odds to draw on you. Plus, you really couldn't face a worse board, with straight and flush draws out, plus touching cards. You have to bet here, not just for value, but more importantly to KO as many as possible of your opponenets, and get them out of this hand. And even with that, it may be too late; someone could already have the straight, as 9-10 is a pretty common hand for limpers. I think you should C/R the flop and make every effort to get to the cap. Then see what the turn brings, and bet out on the turn, folding to a raise. The turn and river couldn't have been worse for you.

The real point of your hand is you don't want to slow-play a big pair, you need to play it very aggressively. And a big pair is a good holding but it will get beat a lot, so don't be too surprised when it does.

Hang in...

bc
Old 05-16-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is waiting for the turn to see what develops and possibly check raise the field good? what about the crying call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Izmet Fekali (who I can't seem to find anymore) said it best: "The big cards dominate early in the hand, but are tortured late by the little cards." This is, in part, an expression of Morton's Theorum (Don't ask me to explain it.)

You almost certainly have the best hand pre-flop, and very likely, your hand is still better than any ONE of your 6 opponents on the flop. But in aggregate, the 6 of them have the odds to draw on you. Plus, you really couldn't face a worse board, with straight and flush draws out, plus touching cards. You have to bet here, not just for value, but more importantly to KO as many as possible of your opponenets, and get them out of this hand. And even with that, it may be too late; someone could already have the straight, as 9-10 is a pretty common hand for limpers. I think you should C/R the flop and make every effort to get to the cap. Then see what the turn brings, and bet out on the turn, folding to a raise. The turn and river couldn't have been worse for you.

The real point of your hand is you don't want to slow-play a big pair, you need to play it very aggressively. And a big pair is a good holding but it will get beat a lot, so don't be too surprised when it does.

Hang in...

bc

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Izmet Fekali (who I can't seem to find anymore)....

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this link.

That link reminds me of the good o days when this forum was populated by independent thinkers.

Stu