Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: how the heck do you get started in NL cash games?

[ QUOTE ]
You can bluff if you have the right image. When I go into a room and I pronounce a very tight image. Raising on hands that are good and winning say with kings or aces. They'll get to knowing when you raise you usually have a good hand. Then eventually you may find that less people call your rasie, sometimes none. That's where I raise with B.S. cards and show the 9 high. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Or if you get a lot of hands heads-up you can do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you can bluff even at this level, but you have to pick your spots very carefully. In the context of online games, I disagree, however, that table image is very important for two reasons:

1) A make-up of a given table online is constantly changing -- people frequently leave and join. So, someone may not be around long enough to know that you are a tight player and that your raises 'should be respected.'

2) Many of the players may not even be paying that much attention to begin with, so they may not notice that you're involved in few pots. This is especially true online where a) your opponents are simply represented by a screen name and perhaps an avatar (which makes it hard to pay attention), and b) your opponents may be multi-tabling, so are more likely to be playing their cards as opposed to their opponents.

In general, bluffs can work, though probably less often. You just have to pick your spots very carefully. It depends on the usual factors: the players you're up against (and any previous interactions you've had with them), the texture of the board, the amount of money in the pot, your betting patterns on that hands, their betting patterns, etc.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:47 PM

I came here to see if I could find something like this post. I'll contribute a question as well, how much should you be betting in relation to whats in the pot when you have made hands?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:07 PM

thanks for the replies so far they have been helpful. As a side question what is the accepted range in terms of vip and pfr in full ring Nl cash games (say the NL 50) for most of the winning nl players on here. I would assume post flop is really a matter of style/
Old 05-15-2005, 04:10 PM

1. I have super system and HOH any other important books for NL ?

***possibly but i dont know. playing is more important

2. What size blinds should I play if I have a 2,000k bankroll that I can afford to lose learning NL. I want to be double bankrolled for what level I play since i will probly make some bad mistakes.

***Play NL100 if you single table, or play NL50 if you wanna play 3-4 games at once

3. Where do start my preflop stratgy. Or how do I change my pre-flop statagy from limit. This is my main question any links to important threads or other sources would be helpful.

***small pairs = bigger friend now. big cards = lose more money in the wrong spots. unpiared big cards = not nearly as nice. you can get away with raising preflop less and 'nut peddling' your sets or you can play a LAG 'assault the small pot on the flop' game, whatever you choose

4. I consider blind steal and defence a top prioity in limit would you consider it more, less or just as important in NL.

***blind steal is still a tool i use a lot in tigher games but you'll be risking a lot more X the bb to steal it.. i dont care too much about defending my blind. steal the pot on the flop with a bet is crucial

5. any links to anything dealing with NL that I can read that has helped them with anything there just seems to be less good material out there for NL. Any posters I should serch the NL forum for.

**dont know
Old 05-15-2005, 07:16 PM

thanks for the replies so far i will report back after my first 3,000 hands or so.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:44 PM

Some general pieces of advice:

Don't even think about "defending your blinds" in a full ring NL game. Wrong mentality. While you can complete a small blind with any connector and any two suited, you shouldn't be calling raises anywhere with anything but top big card hands (AQ+, KQs/AJs if you feel frisky), pocket pairs, and suited connectors. See a lot of flops with pocket pairs, but fold if you miss your set.

Raise AK, AQ (in position) JJ-AA big preflop. 5x big blind or so. Don't call reraises with AQ. Into a reraise, JJ and often QQ are like 44, you're looking to spike a set.

Bet the pot, or close to it, when you bet.

Don't minraise.

Don't bluff.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:01 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

This thread is a good place to start.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:08 PM

bobbyi is in a very similar boat, I believe. Search out his posts (his early ones were particularly interesting, IMO) and you might want to PM him as well.