Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Pre-flop overbet with AA

I don't play this high, but IMO I think that since you limped after 2 limpers here, that this move will get paid off with higher frequency then if you were UTG. I assume he is going to rarely suspect a limp from you in that spot. Not sure if that makes it better then re-raising less or not but I think you could get looked up by his big pairs here at least some of the time putting you on a re-steal.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:55 PM

Hi,

I just want to jump in with some additional thoughts, that I thought would be at least fairly clear from my original post.

1) I don't believe he is stealing now. He set this up with the earlier play (showing the huge bluff), and this time, he only raised it 75 more, as opposed to 140 more the previous time. I believe he has a very good hand now, and wants to be at least called. I would never re-raise all-in if I thought he might be bluffing. In that case, I'd make a smaller re-raise, hoping to induce a really big bluff, or a bad call out of position, or a fold that would irritate him a little.

2)I'm not likely to get much more from this guy if I re-raise him pre-flop, or smooth-call him, due to his over-tendency to shut down post-flop without a big hand (top 2 or better). My goal here was to get excessive action from KK, QQ, JJ, and maybe TT (though this is doubtful). But, I am risking the money he'd surely call pre-flop, if he indeed has a hand in the range I put him on.

3) I'm hoping to represent a good hand that "I believe is best right now". I raised all-in, as opposed to 500 or so, in order to look like I'm taking away the all-in move from him. I'm hoping to represent a hand range of AK, 99-AA, weighted a little toward the bottom of that range due to my overbet.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:55 PM

i think making it $400 to go would be WAAAAAAAY better. WAY. would you in a million years make this sick overbet without the AA? i know youre a creative PF player... i also do alot of wild stuff PF, but this..? i think hes about to fold KK face up. if you make it 400, KK, QQ will likely move in. clearly, think you make a big reraise here, but the 2200 is never getting called... id rather do that as a bluff.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:25 PM

i hope you walked over to him and slapped him after you went all in
Old 05-14-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) I'm hoping to represent a good hand that "I believe is best right now". I raised all-in, as opposed to 500 or so, in order to look like I'm taking away the all-in move from him. I'm hoping to represent a hand range of AK, 99-AA, weighted a little toward the bottom of that range due to my overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]we posted at that same time, so i obviously hadnt read this... if this guy is not too great and has say, QQ, he obviously would like to think he induced this resteal with his "move" earlier... i think you gotta give him some rope here... youre giving this guy way too much credit...
Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hope you walked over to him and slapped him after you went all in

[/ QUOTE ]lol
Old 05-14-2005, 09:32 PM

It all depends on what level his opponent is thinking on.

First level - "He way overbet the pot, I can't call without at least kings or aces."

Second level - "I set up this play with my bluff earlier, now I have a hand, and now he's going all-in. He must have a hand and know I have a hand. I fold everything except kings or aces, maybe queens."

Third level - "He knows I was trying to set up this move with the bluff earlier, so he is pushing at me as a counter-bluff, trying to run me off a very good hand because he knows I am weak-tight. I call with a wider range of hands, perhaps QQ, JJ, AK, or TT."

I may have the levels confused here, but those seem to be the possible thought processes. It's such an odd play that an opponent can talk himself into calling with a wider range of hands than one would think.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Results

Hi fv,

[ QUOTE ]
i think making it $400 to go would be WAAAAAAAY better. WAY. would you in a million years make this sick overbet without the AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. Probably not, although after thinking this hand over a little, I may start to. This is kind of what I worry I did wrong: my move was designed to trap KK and QQ (especially QQ), but both of those hands would've probably re-raised if I made it 400 or so.

At the time, my thinking basically mirrored neon's in his post. I wanted to convince Villain that he'd successfully trapped me with a big hand. I thought that the fact that I overlimped in LP, the fact that I'd played unusually tightly all night (thus he'd expect me to make a move at some point, and he'd be right), and the circumstances of the previous hand he'd shown, would lead him into convincing himself I had a good but not great hand. This in spite of the fact that this kind of overbet from a good player is virtually always AA.

So anyway... he deliberated for a while. Then he said, "I'm basically only calling you with 2 hands," but he sounded like he didn't totally believe that himself, and continued to think. Finally, he folded AKs face up. Doh! I never expected a call from that hand, regardless, but it appears from his extended deliberation that he may've re-popped me with that hand, had I been more sociable. He won't call all-in there with AK, even if he's almost positive I have QQ-TT, with the dead money in the pot amounting to only slightly more than 10% of the bet he needs to call. Then again, the fact that he thought so long with AK makes me think he may've called me with QQ, which as I said, was my main target.

So, put yourself in Villain's shoes: when a good player makes this overbet, are there any circumstances under which you'd call with QQ, JJ, or AK? I'm assuming some of you would call with KK, right?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:58 PM

Since you limped in late position and you said he has been making moves at lots of flops why not keep him in the lead since you are heads up if you just call. Then when he makes his move at the flop either smooth call or come over the top if you suspect he got a piece of the flop. Sure you risk getting outdrawn but you have put yourself in position to win a big hand.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
So, put yourself in Villain's shoes: when a good player makes this overbet, are there any circumstances under which you'd call with QQ, JJ, or AK? I'm assuming some of you would call with KK, right?

[/ QUOTE ]i would only call with AA.