Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: TPTK slowplay

PK and Jonny,

I think that you guys are missing the point.

PK, it sounds like you want to raise on the turn to find out whether Villain has an 8. If you want to raise because you believe that Villain will call with an inferior hand, go for it. I still prefer to call, but whatever. If you want to raise the turn in the hope of finding a fold in case Villain has an 8, forget about it. Any credible raise on the turn completely pot commits you. If you raise on the turn, it is for value. Period.

Jonny,

This line is not best against opponents that will only lead with an A here. It is best against LAGs that will fire two barrel with a hand like TT, JJ, QQ, etc. if Hero plays passively.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:54 PM

If he called a reraise out of position with AT before the flop then I think it's likely he will do it again on the flop. If I knew he were a bad LAG then I would say go for the call. Who knows, you could be slowplaying the tightest rock on earth with a PAIR!
Old 05-14-2005, 07:03 PM

obviously u dont raise the turn, you raise the flop

if he was loose enough preflop, make him pay for it at least a bit, you don't slow play top pair unless YOU KNOW he has an A lower kicker, for the very reason why passive play sucks (ie junk w/ 8 busts you when u have AK)

but this guy was new, we kno nothing about him, plus he might come anyway if he has Ax
Old 05-14-2005, 07:03 PM

btw, outcome?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:23 PM

this isn't exactly a slow play. it's letting villain continue betting with a hand you beat.

given the preflop action, you're either way ahead or way behind. if you raise, the hands that you're beating will fold and the hands that have you beat will call/raise.

this is a great way to use an aggressive players tendancies against him.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:29 PM

i like letting him bet away all his money to you on an uncoordinated board under one condition- you are VERY confident hes got an single paired Ace-paint and not a set or some 2paired hand.

this is because if you decide to just call to the river and then make a value raise (unless a scary J/Q hits), you will end up making this pot enourmous. by not taking position in the hand you lose control of the pot so you lose the ability to control pot size and cheaply fold if you are beaten.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

given the preflop action, you're either way ahead or way behind. if you raise, the hands that you're beating will fold and the hands that have you beat will call/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, he could call w/ AJ AQ AT or AX, if he did call w/ those hands preflop isn't it likely he'll call a raise on the flop and play it to the river?

secondly, based on the preflop action you don't really KNOW for sure what he has

[ QUOTE ]
If anything, he seems to play a few too many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he has an 8, he's not way behind, and now he knows you have an A, and if he hits his pair/twopair, he'll get paid off, ppl DO play 87s 89s occasionally and its not entirely wrong if your opponents are passive calling station, which is how this hand is being played

everyone here has been in a hand where they thought, there's no way he has an 8 after all that raising preflop, and what happens when we make assumptions???
Old 05-14-2005, 08:33 PM

Default RESULTS

Well, I called on the end. He tabled A7 (!?) and my hand was good, taking down about a $360 pot.

I think because he min-raised preflop, it was the correct play to simply call down. The reward (catching a player who turned out to be too aggressive) outweighed the risk (him sucking out with two pair).

Good discussion guys.
Ryan
Old 05-15-2005, 02:49 AM

I didn't say it was the best line, just that it would be correct. If villian is somewhat unpredictable in his betting then we should definitely raise.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:10 AM

Raising at any point postflop on this board is absolutely terrible. He's not calling a raise with a bluff.