Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Recovering from a bad beating

Once when I was in a losing rut and feeling my play might be slipping, I got up from the table and went to my car, opened up SSHE, read a couple hand quizzes from the back to get me back in the right frame of mind.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:22 PM

Playing online is not really an option for me. I have a dial-up connection, and I don't have much faith in online poker sites yet.

I realize my bankroll is smaller than it should be. I'm hoping to slowly build it over time.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My bankroll originally started around $100. I had built it up (primarily due to home tournaments) to about $350. However, I dipped into my gambling bankroll to buy my wife a nice mother's day present.

That night, I started around $200, and lost a little over half.

Looking back, I should have quit sooner, but I felt that I played better poker than most people at that table and that if I kept playing sound poker, I should be able to win it back.

When I finally realized that the losses were keeping me from playing soundly, I got up and left.

[/ QUOTE ]

25 BBs is nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing online is not really an option for me. I have a dial-up connection, and I don't have much faith in online poker sites yet.

I realize my bankroll is smaller than it should be. I'm hoping to slowly build it over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but none of this makes any sense...

I have a dail-up connection. I play semi-pro and only online. I have played on about 20 sites and have never had a problem...I don't understand the "not an option" statement.

Why are you playing poker? Hobby or what?

Going into 2/4 with $200 is not the way to slowly build a BR, it's the way to quickly lose it.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:52 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

I play alot of 4/8 live and, quite honestly it is not something that you learn to recover from, it is something to which you basically become callous. Variance is a part of the game, regardless of live play or internet play. There have been losing sessions in my past when I would have serious doubts about wanting to go back. But I always did and in time the proper decisions and inevitable "good runs" bring back the confidence that can sometimes seem to be completely shattered. When you learn that this is part of the game, you can accept that not every night is a winning night(especially live). When you see your two pair or set get busted everytime, while everyone around you has their top pairs hold up and drag the pots, it can be disconcerting. Patience is the key, because knowing you are in the middle of a bad run, but that you are still making the proper plays will eventually be all you need to keep your morale up. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After analyzing that night (over and over and over), I think I might actually try my hand at the 3/6 table when I return. I believe that I played well most of the time. At the 3/6 table the players should be a little easier to read (not so many random plays), and the rake is a lower percentage. Also, if I do start to win, the win will be larger.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very bad idea. Playing underfunded at a higher limit is a recipe for disaster. The weaker the players are the more mistakes they will make and the more you gain by playing against them. Bad nights will happen, but you will not make more money against better competition.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:36 PM

I went back last night, and I decided to follow your advice and stick with the lower limit table. I bought in with $40.

I started off getting some good hands such as pocket 10's, KQ suited, etc. I won with a couple, but the second place hands cost me a bit. I was soon down to about $10.

I stayed at this level for quite awhile winning some small pots, losing small bets. Finally, I got a good hand and ended up going all in. Unfortunately, a guy sucked out on the river to beat me.

I analyzed the way I was playing compared to the others at the table and decided it was worth sticking around a bit longer. I bought in for another $20.

The very next hand I flopped a set, and I was reading weakness around the table. I ended up going all in with my $20, and more than tripled up.

By playing tight and agressive, I left the table about 2 1/2 hours after I sat down up $26. While this isn't a lot of money, it did a lot to help my confidence.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:41 PM

Maybe you can drop back a limit or so and play a few more hands there.

When you sense tilt coming on its usually advisable to get up and leave even the juciest table.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:41 PM

Maybe you can drop back a limit or so and play a few more hands there.

When you sense tilt coming on its usually advisable to get up and leave even the juciest table.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:42 PM

Default A Lesson to Be Learned

I learned this here as well:

A limit player should NEVER be all-in!

Rebuy! Rebuy! Rebuy!

How bad would it suck to only have a couple of big bet's left, catch AA, get in a multiway raised pot, flop a set, have the action go crazy and run out of chips to bet and raise on the turn?