Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2002, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Is it ever right to do this?

The turn card is important but I usually don't worry about backdoor flush draws.

This type of slowplay is much better heads-up. With multiple people in the pot, my raise would probably come on the flop.

Old 11-28-2002, 01:49 PM

Why would a decent player only bet this flop with a set?

Old 11-28-2002, 06:57 PM

Wrong choice of words. I should have said "probably" instead of "only". A decent EP player may bet out with AQ or AJs which he could possibly raised PF also. Anyway given the scenario in my original post what do you think is the correct play with the limper's re-raise?
Old 11-28-2002, 09:07 PM

Default Let Me re-phrase my original question

when u have AK and raised PF and flop top pair and someone bets into you, should you call sometimes just to represent something less than top pair? Or is this an example of Fancy PLay Syndrome?
Old 11-28-2002, 09:32 PM

Default Let me rephrase my original answer :-)

IMO this is not fancy play syndrome. Rather, it is a sound tactic to use in order to occassionally vary your play. In general, playing the same type(s) of hand(s) the same way every time can negatively affect your EV, especially if you are playing average or better opponents.

You don't want them to be able to automatically fold their Ax to you if you raise the flop in this spot...

-JAA
Old 11-29-2002, 12:51 AM

Default Re: River pop instead of turn

Hi Slim,

if there are two or three callers, the turn is the latest that you would raise, and most likely you are going to raise the flop. You are right, though, the river raise is the way to extract the most if your opponent is betting a weak ace in a headsup situation.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Let Me re-phrase my original question

When I'm heads up against a calling station and they bet into me,I'll call the turn and if it comes blank,raise the river.IF other players are in the pot I raise 90%.The answer to your question is yes.JMHO,Willi.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:23 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

i hate the term FPS...why? i reserve it for players who make a different play JUST to make a different play. no real thought behind it.

if you have the read that you stated, of possible hands he may put you on if you call or raise, why would you want him to fold here? especially when he's giving you action..the other players will likely come along anyway if you raise, since they called 1 bet. unless the guy 3 bets. which then you could be looking at 2 pair at least.

usually someone betting this board should bet again on the turn. you could raise this flop, there's nothing wrong with that play at all. but in waiting it could give you free cards on later hands also. if you think youve been playing predictable for the last few hands in this session, change it up a little. predictability breeds 'no action'. you may not be giving up that much here by waiting for the turn, especially if their all calling anyway, even if you raised...

again, you dont have to make these type of plays routinely. just enough to instill a little doubt. but gauging how theyre playing against you helps in picking which play may be better to try.

"should you call sometimes just to represent something less than top pair?"

sometimes, when you call, theyll also figure you for a big hand. especially if that's the way they play a set. many players wait for the turn with their sets. remember, dont base your play on what you have, but what they may percieve that you have based on how theyd play the hand.

so another idea is to see how they play certain hands. you playing a hand in a similar way, regardless of your holding, will put you on a hand that theyd play that same way. make sense? this is a fun way to use their own style against them while adding deception to your play.

kind of like betting out when you flop the stone nuts. many will check to the turn and let someone bet it the whole way. ive found that many rarely put you on the nuts when you bet out like this. and if they start catching on, start checking it into them...see how the options relate?

just givin some ideas and reasons...nothing written in stone...but might be worth looking for the spots to try...

b
Old 11-29-2002, 12:27 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

if their was a draw on this board, with this many players, raising this spot usually wont charge them as much as waiting for the turn. unless you know the bettor will reraise the flop.

b
Old 11-30-2002, 01:40 PM

Default Depends on the flop bettorŽs position...

If he bets from EP and there are lots of callers, I often just call, wait for him to bet the turn, and then I raise (if it gets raised before I get to act I can fold myself and have saved money, and if someone does have two pair, will he reraise a possible AAA? Rarely; the reraise will most likely come from a set or better, and then you can safely fold). IŽd only raise on the flop if the EP bettor will reraise with worse hands (not too likely), otherwise IŽll either get 3-bet by a better hand, or he and everyone else just calls and everyone will get the right price to call my bet on turn. If I raise on turn, I then often check down on river unless I improve.

If the bet comes from a later position, you should be more inclined to raise right away, but for deception purposes like you mentioned, you can also wait to raise (If you have KK, QQ, or JJ in this spot, you can also expect to get checked to on turn by an ace if he knows you would wait until the turn to raise).