Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Hi.... I suckass at poker.

I don't know how much tougher the 3/6 games are now then they were previously because I am not playing 3/6 currently....but there are 70k players on party/skins duing peak hours and they aren't all 8-tabling 2+2'ers.

If the games have gotten to the point where a tight-passive VP-14 type player is no longer able to easily win 2BB+/100 by just showing up then that may be a GOOD thing for that player.

Anyone who reads the strategy forums (or the fairly regular p-tracker stats-posts) should be able to figure out where most 2+2'ers think a winning TAG player's VP, PFR, WtSD and W$SD should roughly be.

You can play tighter and get away with it on many tables....but most understand that VP-14 is kinda low-ish for 'ideal' winning poker.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1 BB/100 is pretty good for 3/6. I can crush .5/1, but would be pretty happy with that WR with how much tougher 3/6 has become with multi tablers.

[/ QUOTE ]

And exactly how much tougher has it become? Not much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely relative to how you play in the first place. If you're a marginal player, people getting only a little bit better is a disaster.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 AM

I think that it is good that you posted those stats because I think they do show some obvious things which you need to work on. I do believe that you are most likely at least proficient postflop or you wouldnt even be that big a winner.

A lot of what sticks out is pf. Of the 111 hands on you, which is like nothing, you are just so ridiculously tight. According to your stats you are playing way too few hands, I would think you should be at least over 15.5, approaching 16. I am at 17 and am always looking for ways to loosen up. Also, if you are that tight you should be raising more hands pf. At the few hands I did at 5/10, I was really almost as tight as you but still had a pfr around 11.5. Concentrate on isolating betting.

The other thing that will up your vpip is your blind game which seems a bit off. I don't think you are stealing enough and also not defending enough from the BB. The sb isnt worth as much so it doesnt need as much focus, but I would look to Peter_rus posts to try and learn how to be more liberal in the BB with suited cards in raised pots.

Your aggression also seems rather odd with it going up instead of going down. Are you not being aggressive enough on the flop against only a few opponents with your overs? Are you just taking hands too far because you are playing so few and trying to force them to be winners on later streets? I'm not sure of a great way to go about analyzing this, but I would think about ways in which you could be more agressive on the flop. On the river I would always question yourself whether there is a profit to betting or not, you are not always going to have opportunities to value bet against tighter players who will only call/raise with a better hand.

These are all suggestions coming from someone who just moved up to 3/6 and is not a stellar stats analist so take it with a grain of salt but these are all things that Harv pointed out so I think that they are points you should focus on. Be happy with winrate, its definitly respectable and if you really scrutinize your play it will really improve. Good luck.

Edited to add that I think learning to play 6max is something that could definitly improve those fields which you appear to be having trouble with. If you haven't done 1/2 6max yet, I would hit it up for at least a few thousand to see how loose/aggressive preflop you can be and you will play the blinds much more.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you sit at my table I am like "ugh... dammit".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now it's bugging me, wtf is your screen name?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Edited to add that I think learning to play 6max is something that could definitly improve those fields which you appear to be having trouble with. If you haven't done 1/2 6max yet, I would hit it up for at least a few thousand to see how loose/aggressive preflop you can be and you will play the blinds much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm going to do that. I had a feeling my problem was being weak/tight, especially postflop.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:19 PM

90% of the players who play lose. You are winning. How can you suckass?

Lawrence