Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: 5/10 NL river action?

That was a p*ssy check on the turn. You should definitely be betting that. Your flop bet was also weak. I'd have gone:
Flop: Bet $60
Turn: Bet $120
River: Bet $250 (or check and call, also a good option)

On the river I'd just call. A reraise gets you nothing. Blast back over him and it's unlikely you'd get called by anything other than J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and you'll get killed by the K high flush.

I think you minimized your value with this hand.

- C -
Old 05-10-2005, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I can definetely see Villian holding K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in this situation. I understand I should've bet the flop stronger, however, the turn I think wasn't too great of a card. Granted, I have an open end straight draw with flush draw, I think Villian would only call with at least two pair if not reraise with a set. I don't know, I'm pretty sure Villian does not hold an ace as he would've raised the flop. However, QJ KQ and KT are all hands he could have. If I bet the turn and he goes all-in I'm stuck. Maybe I'm just a weaker NL player.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:45 AM

Would have been an easier decision with a larger pot. As it is there is too much money to lose to raise again, in my opinion.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Results for those who care

Incase anyone's interested, here were the results from the hand. I thought for a while, maybe a full thirty seconds, and decided I couldn't settle for a call. I ended up reraising $550 on top of his $250 and he just called, showing K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the nut straight. I'm not too crazy about his call, but hey, it works for me.

In retrospect, I'm glad I checked the turn. Villian decided to slowplay his nut straight, which allowed me to catch up on the river. The jack on the turn simply looked like a nasty card to me. Out of position, it's hard to fire a bullet on the turn. I think if I did bet the turn, say $150, Villian would've reraised $300-$400 and I would have no idea what to do. My check on the turn confused Villian a bit I think (as to whether I was holding nothing or holding a monster) which caused him to check behind me, fearing that he would lose me if he bet.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:09 PM

is hero's check on the turn really that bad? because i don't mind it at all, but maybe i suck at NL.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Results for those who care

Villains call is really horrible. His turn play is equally bad. Congrats on the pot.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:54 PM

Brett, are you finding these games in Davis?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:57 PM

No way. But there is a .5/1 game there LOL. You should check it out. Average pot is probably $30? Pretty fun if you're looking for entertainment and some quick cash.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way. But there is a .5/1 game there LOL. You should check it out. Average pot is probably $30? Pretty fun if you're looking for entertainment and some quick cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I'll pass.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:42 PM

psu giving good advice? Wow, that's new!
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Naj