Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Zeeeero Motivation for School

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think of. how much your grades will impact your future. (ie better jobs, an oppurtunity to get into better grad schools, etc etc. the amount of money you're paying to go to schoool...)

[/ QUOTE ]

other than grad school they probably won't have much of an effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, just about every employer I interviewed with asked me about my GPA; most asked for transcripts as well. Some places will even do this for folks that are 1-2 years out of school.

I slacked off for a good while in college and it definitely closed some doors for me. It can be remedied signficantly by post-graduation work experience and good test scores, though.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:29 PM

Jazza's point of getting a good nights sleep is probably the best thing to do. For assignments, I would at least start them the day they are assigned. Even if you can only finish 10% of it, attempting to start it will accomplish two things. 1.When it comes to 5AM the morning its due, it is so much easier to work on a paper that you started already, even if you only have a paragraph or two than to start from scratch. 2. You might really get into it and finish the assignment right there and not have to worry about it.

As for last minute studying, it is much better to study for 3 hours with a goodnights sleep than to study for 12 hours with no sleep at all. Trust me, I've tried both approaches. Read your books, but don't read them word for word. This is what I do: I read the first and last paragraph in full of the chapter. I read the first couple of sentences of each paragraph and then skim through the rest of the paragraph. If you have bold face terms scattered about focus on those and for the tougher ones write them down on paper. While skimming if your eye catches something that looks important read it over carefully. This approach will cut down your reading time to 1/4 the time. I don't know about you, but sometimes after doing this I can get away with doing little to no repetitive studying. Learn to use mnemonics and you're on your way to success.

Just sitting there and realizing that you are studying 1/8 as much as some of the other geeks in class and pulling better grades than them is probably enough to make things more interesting. Sometimes I like to amuse myself to see if I can be the first one to finish my test among the 200 kids in my lecture hall. Of course that is only good if you know the material down pat. Anything that works.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:32 PM

dude you spelt zero wrong. what grade are you in anyway?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:47 PM

I understand your pain because I am also in college. But honestly, it's your last quarter, how hard can it be to motivate yourself for one more quarter? Just get to work and keep telling yourself it's almost over.