Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: $30/$60 - weakly played aces?

wow.... on the river i bet you're good about half hte time
Old 05-08-2005, 03:23 PM

yeah i think you should bet the turn and then if your raised you can give up.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:18 PM

Default RESULTS

River: (12.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Js Qs (full house, queens full of threes).
MP1 has Ah Kh (two pair, queens and threes).
Outcome: UTG wins 14.25 BB. </font>

I'm glad I posted this. Being results oriented might have made me think this was a well played hand, but now I agree with the concensus.

The only thing I don't agree with is the people that have said I would have heard from a queen on the flop. Given the preflop action, is AQo really strong enough to check raise this flop? What about KQ or QJ?

If I bet the turn and get checkraised, do most people dump the hand there?

Thanks for all the responses except for Victor. If you don't have something useful to contribute to a thread, there's no need to be an ass. I'm aware of the fact that I'm not the best limit holdem player, and almost certainly a losing player in this game. I'm learning though. Perhaps you'd be better off thinking of me as an inexperienced player (which I am in LHE).
Old 05-08-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you and bruiser are hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably would be too if you jumped into a 25/50nl game.

-SmileyEH
Old 05-08-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you and bruiser are hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

victor can say stuff like this cause he's a good poster
Old 05-08-2005, 06:01 PM

No matter how tight UTG is, there's way too much in the pot to fold. Call on the river.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:49 PM

Unbelievable fold on river. I would bet turn usually and call a raise (and river bet) majority of time especially against c/r from such unknown players for some meta-game purposes, i guess i catch some semi-bluff c/r from AK or 2 spades or something like JJ/KK in such big pots at least 5% of time and another 5% is an ace on river. Also it's uncommon that queen would sleep on flop.

If i choose check on turn-line i will call river and fold only if first player bets and second raised (in this pot i also would have hard time to fold even to a bet-raise).
Old 05-08-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

I agree with you on the turn check. There is nothing threatening that you can force out by betting on the turn. Smaller pocket pairs are calling down regardless of your bet. So the question becomes whether you should charge small pairs and flush draws or should you try and dodge a checkraise by a queen or possibly a three. Someone have a queen or three is still more likely than someone having a flush despite the lack of action on the flop. If you do bet the turn and get checkraised, you should probably still call down given the size of the pot. Checking the turn also opens up the possibility that your opponents will make poor bluffs or calls on the river, like the guy who called with Ace high.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

River: (12.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Js Qs (full house, queens full of threes).
MP1 has Ah Kh (two pair, queens and threes).
Outcome: UTG wins 14.25 BB. </font>

I'm glad I posted this. Being results oriented might have made me think this was a well played hand, but now I agree with the concensus.

The only thing I don't agree with is the people that have said I would have heard from a queen on the flop. Given the preflop action, is AQo really strong enough to check raise this flop? What about KQ or QJ?

If I bet the turn and get checkraised, do most people dump the hand there?

Thanks for all the responses except for Victor. If you don't have something useful to contribute to a thread, there's no need to be an ass. I'm aware of the fact that I'm not the best limit holdem player, and almost certainly a losing player in this game. I'm learning though. Perhaps you'd be better off thinking of me as an inexperienced player (which I am in LHE).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is of course, the tough question Zee. With that much preflop action, i dont think QJ goes nuts on the flop, although sometimes they might just lead or raise a bet. I don't think check-raising AQ would be horrible there because it makes the rest of the hand easy, if you get popped again later, you're beat. The thing is, investing 1 bet on the turn is a good move because you can usually safely fold to a raise unless the raiser is very tricky. It could also get you a free showdown should you choose to take it if he tries to C/R the river. I think the point is, you will hear from a queen often enough on the flop to make betting this turn correct.

Gabe
Old 05-08-2005, 07:54 PM

hi zee justin,

i would bet the turn and call a checkraise and call the riv.

i would bet the turn because very very very often you have the best hand here. that is how you make money in limit holdem.: putting money in the pot with the best hand.

calling a checkraise, i think this is especially correct against unknowns. with good reads on a player a fold to a turn checkraise is often correct. anyway, it doesnt matter since you didnt bet. just trying to show how the hand should playout.

by checking the turn you have induced many hands to bluff or value bet the river. the pot is pretty big now so players are enticed to go after it. also, fearless value bettors are very willing to bet here with any pair such as 77-1010. the overcaller has the same range of hands with a higher likelihood on acehigh and a much smaller chance of a hous. so this river fold is superbad.

i wasnt trying to be an ass. i just found this post funny, and others covered most of the analysis. i wasnt even tryin to make fun of you. i mean, just imagine the responses to this thread if you were a newb with 35 posts.