Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Recommend Poker/Gambling Psychology Books and say Why...

I absolutely agree with Zen and the Art of Poker as helpmeout suggested. It's very inexpensive and can be read in one hour. It has absolutely prevented me from tilting, period. And it's my belief that, second to playing correctly, NOT tilting is the greatest +EV for your game. Not to mention the fact that it's a lot more fun playing when you don't get angry about bad beats, suckouts, etc.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Recommend Poker/Gambling Psychology Books and say Why...

[ QUOTE ]
POP is a good but not great book. It is somewhat repetitive and once you've read one of the chapters on player type, you can pretty much guess the rest of the book. It would be, however, a helpful book if you are a self-delusional player who over-rates his skill and style.

ITPM is a first rate book. It must be read and re-read.

Edited to add: Having just now gone back and read the thread, and your admission that you are somewhat self-unaware, you may in fact benefit from POP. I did not benefit that much from it, as I read it after I had already achieved a demonstrated history of winning play, and I tend to be highly self-critical as a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, agree.

I have played poker daily for 3 years and got POP yesterday because someone told me this was a good book if you wanted to study different player styles. Its way to simple for my needs.

If you are a beginner and are having problem with tilt and emotions you will probably find some good stuff in it. But I think John Feeneys chapters on "subtle tilt" is better (I still reread them when I hit a really bad run). Also, Feeney writes much more about pokerstrategy so its really about pshycohology and strategy. I think everyone will find some good stuff in Feeneys book but only some - like other posters in this thread - will find good stuff in POP.