Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Dealing with the later & larger min-raise.

I think the dillema here isnt as easy as pooh says but at the same time I dont think its that hard to work out.
You have three options. Stop and Go, fold, push. Given your stack size and position your not likely to get a better shot than this hand so folding seems to be out of the question. If the initial raiser has been raising a lot I dont think you really need to worry about him and a push should get him to fold facing a call and a reraise. So pushing leaves you heads up with the caller which seems like what you want in this situation.
As opposed to a stop and go where you are going to basically be in the same situation but you allow UTG a chance to hit his overcard he probably would have folded if you just pushed and if he misses you dont get any extra chips from him. A stop and go in this situation isnt going to push anyone off a hand which would beat you and it's going to give people a free shot at outdrawing you, seems like a bad idea to me.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:19 PM

I think you should push. Its possible that MP1 is playing a smaller PP. You cannot stop and go against 2 players. One of the will likely spike something to call you with and then you are in serious trouble.

That being said, you have very little fold equity here. UTG+1 might fold, but if he is as loose as you say then he will take his KJ into a three way. You might scare off MP1 and get HU on the hand. But even so, its not a bad idea to push here....the possibility of shared overcards by UTG+1 and MP make for a very positive expectation PP vs. overcard situation in most cases. Waiting for a better spot with your stack at 545 after posting SB and only 7 deals to go until your fold equity is definitely gone does not seem smart to me.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:21 PM

I would push without question. Stop & Go seems terrible, you are allowing A-xs, K-xs, the likely holding of UTG hit his overcard, he is likely to fold with a player to act behind him. MP1 would have raised with A-A or K-K with so many players to act behind. The range of hands it leaves definetly calls for you to push.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:27 PM

Your 8 handed and extremely shortstacked... Is there even a question here, you push and hope for the best. Over time this is going to be a + EV push.

By Pushing you force Big Stack to make a decision... Chances are he might want to single this hand out and will push thus pushing MP1 out of the hand. If he is weak he might fold. You have a good chance at getting heads up by pushing which is ideal. If someone has JJ or better (unlikely but happens) then so be it.

Anything other than a push would be criminal in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:45 PM

After a handful of seconds thought, I pushed my stack. I was hoping to isolate and coin-flip and ace or best case get over a smaller PP. In the end, I think this is one of those “*it happens” situations. Turns out neither player was going anywhere with their hands.

I believe I played this turney well, but it was quite likely I let this one get away much earlier.

Thank you for your various posts, they have given me some additional ideas to think about.

~~~~~~

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t2183)
MP1 (t1080)
MP2 (t815)
CO (t1075)
Button (t1207)
SB (t600)
Hero (t645)
UTG (t395)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t200</font>, MP1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t645</font>, UTG+1 calls t445, MP1 calls t445.

Flop: (t1985) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises t435</font>,UTG+1 calls t335.

Turn: (t2420) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (t2420) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2420

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Td Ts (two pair, tens and eights).
UTG+1 has Ks Kh (two pair, kings and eights).
MP1 has Jd Js (two pair, jacks and eights).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins t2420. </font>