Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: \'partypoker is hard to make money\'

Come on guys, if you can't beat poor players consistently (don't read all the time), then you are the poor player.

You're right. At a tight table (implied good players), a laggy style could be very profitable. That doesn't mean that he's a better player. He has just learned that his laggy style (likely fishy) works well on a tight table. His refusal to adjust to how to play against the fish reflects his poker abilities, IMO. Which are limited.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 PM

You need a wider, but shallower, skill set to beat absolute beginners. At higher levels, people fall into recognizable patterns of play more. You can take advantage of that, but then you'll have to weigh that against their ability to play at a much better level, to decode your play better, and to change their playstyle in a more calculated way to throw you off course.

It's possible to have better results at higher levels if you bump into just the right set of conditions to fit your particular style, but that's a lot of if's to pile together and to sustain. In general, it's easier to beat bad players than good ones, and if you move up to try to beat good players before you're able to beat bad ones, your game will be weaker than it should be, and sooner or later people will exploit you for it, and probably bust you right back down to the lower levels.

All in all, it's better to learn to beat the lower levels to round out your game than to try to jump around levels to find just the right situation, which may change just as soon as a single player leaves the table or joins it.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:24 PM

Need I say more?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG ($60.85)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($48.25)</font>
SB ($53.95)
BB ($23.6)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $12.

Turn: ($46.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $38.85 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $26.25 (All-In).

River: ($111.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $111.35

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 9c 9d (two pair, nines and sixes).
Hero has Td Qd (two pair, tens and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins $98.75. UTG wins $12.60. </font>
Old 05-05-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on guys, if you can't beat poor players consistently (don't read all the time), then you are the poor player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if people are arguing with this. If you're a strong, adaptive player, then the fishiest of the fishy, who'll call you down with underpairs to the board, etc., is going to be the way to go for pure profit. If you prefer a somewhat less profitable but probably also smaller variance game, sitting with a table that's way too tight isn't so bad, either. After all, isn't that why we can win at SNGs?

But let's say you're not a very good, thoughtful player. You're just okay. Let's say you bluff too much. If you sit down at a rock garden, you're much likelier to end up happy than sitting at the table where your style is going to get you creamed.

My point is just that people reject these kinds of questions out of hand, when I think there is actually some reason to believe that it is possible that some people really do perform better in these situations.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Unless this guy has shown you some seriously maniacal behavior before, I think substantially less of your play in this hand than his.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Hes a Maniac a Maniac a Mannnniac thats for sure. and hes raising like hes never raised before.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:40 PM

huh? Dont you want to play against idiotic players? They are the ones that give you money...oh yeah I forgot, fish don't know how to play the "correct way." Tell your rommie's boyfriend to go back to his job, because he is a fish himself. Why wouldn't anyone want to play with an entire table of fish?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:42 PM

I think Barry Greenstein has a profile of your friend. He rated him an "8" against strong players, but only a "5" against weak players. So it looks like your friend knows what he's doing!
Old 05-05-2005, 04:32 PM

Saying you'd rather play against better players (to make money obviously) is like saying you'd rather bet on your favorite college football team playing against the Patriots as opposed to your old high school team.
You certainly need to play differently in these sorts of low limit/buy in games, but that doesnt make them harder to beat. If you cant adjust and just play solid hands for a profit its likely your only going to make money at a higher limit if your on a huge rush.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:32 PM

i think judging from the way you both played yer hands, you are both awful. he could make the judgment that you should have folded to the 12 dollar reraise, and say that YOU cant fold a hand. holla