Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Ciaffone and Brier

[ QUOTE ]
This book really got my wheels turning again. Particularly the overcards and bluffing sections.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you like the bluffing discussion in MLH (and it's pretty hard not to), you should check out Ciaffone's Improve Your Poker. That book has a series of essays about bluffing that I thought were really good as well.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The general consensus (which I agree with) is that the allegations of weak-tight are slightly unfair. In the games that these hands were taken from (tough, but perhaps straightfoward) the advice is probably correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book was written four years ago. Since then, there has been an overall shift upward in average aggression (not just in internet games). The modern games have many players who are more aggressive with marginal hands than the games of four years ago.

The book is probably still a good read for anyone who wants to play a weekday afternoon Las Vegas middle limit game. In most other games around the country, you will get run over in short order.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL...yeah, I couldn't help but notice all the 'fold' recommendations. Simply raise them on the turn and you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Brier does a good job reviewing hands in Cardplayer. Someone posted a bogus thread about Ciaffone writing a book making him look like a fool and I think it's funny how a guy with his experience is afforded so little respect. Maybe I'm wrong, but somehow I don't see him being that easy to run over.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The book is probably still a good read for anyone who wants to play a weekday afternoon Las Vegas middle limit game. In most other games around the country, you will get run over in short order.

[/ QUOTE ]

If people are as stupid as you then yes.

I assume most people who have a brain and actually use it will learn a great deal from this book.

When you read a book you are suppose to think about the things the author/s say.

If you read a book to copy what an author says in every situation you shouldnt be playing poker.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:40 AM

I agree with helpmeout. MLH improved my game more than any other poker book except TOP.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with helpmeout. MLH improved my game more than any other poker book except TOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I guess I am going to have to go steal Surfdoc's copy once he finishes it.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:13 AM

I'd like to emphasize again that you must adapt the recommendations to the games you play.

The important things I improved by reading MLH are as follows:

1. Interpreting my opponent's actions.
2. Reading the board texture.
3. Ensuring that my actions are purposeful.

That being said, you can learn much more from playing, reading these forums and posting hands, but MLH was a good foundation for my game when I started out. You are a 10/20 player, so MLH is probably not going to induce a quantum leap in your game.