Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: i need my site to be found via yahoo/google etc

the guy does it for me. once the majority of the site is up it will be little to no maintenence.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 AM

ive never had a website make it to one of the prime google slots, but i know a little bit about it. some good things were mentioned in this thread. ill repeat what i agree with;

/holdem-strategy.html

make your topic about your page

use alt tags for every image

do not put crap keywords in your header. instead, on each page, write a brief synapses about the page and take keywords from that paragraph and put those into the header. if you put "texas holdem" into your tags and do not have texas holdem anywhere on your webpage, this will hurt you.

you really dont want to start spamming your page with things just to increase your rank in a search engine. it wont work. you should be trying to make your website blend contentwise while maximizing your search engine score.

the biggest way to increase your search engine score is to get on a huge link exchange. that is the only way. im just estimating here, but you need like 100 websites linking to you just to tip the iceberg.

however, if you get added to a linkpage that is simply a thousand links of websites, this wont get counted. you need to get onto websites that put your links on their page with lots of content. if they receive regular hits on this page then it is much more likely to get counted.

one thing that i came up with, but am not 100% sure if it works or not, is to create layers on your website and display the links on one of the bottom layers. for instance, you have a group of links on a designated area on your site and put a colored table layer on top of it, or an image. nobody will ever see these links because they are covered, but they will count.

your designer probably cannot do this with handcoding, but it can easily be done with a program like sitespinner, which you can get off cnet. the program is a drag and drop html editor, and does alot more than what handcoded html can do. ive used it before and it makes gorgeous websites. its also very easy to make the layers that ive mentioned.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:25 AM

Since I do this for a living....

[ QUOTE ]
do not put crap keywords in your header. instead, on each page, write a brief synapses about the page and take keywords from that paragraph and put those into the header. if you put "texas holdem" into your tags and do not have texas holdem anywhere on your webpage, this will hurt you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=mil...1&ei=UTF-8

The #1 site is all flash with 0 HTML content, yet I was able to get it #1 just by adding a title tag. It's like #5 on google. Anyway, a heading shouldn't be paragraphs of text, it should be similar to a newspaper heading, short and to the point. I should remove the company name from the title but the client wants to keep it in.

[ QUOTE ]
you really dont want to start spamming your page with things just to increase your rank in a search engine. it wont work. you should be trying to make your website blend contentwise while maximizing your search engine score.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a huge difference between spamming and adding keywords to a few sentences. And it WILL work.

Google
The #1 result is a thread was a joke with the goal of getting #1 for the term "Brass Zebras". Although it's not a competitive term it worked. Oh that thread is also #1 for green hedgehogs.

Google

Tell me again that putting keywords on the page doesn't work please.

[ QUOTE ]
the biggest way to increase your search engine score is to get on a huge link exchange. that is the only way. im just estimating here, but you need like 100 websites linking to you just to tip the iceberg.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quality of links matter much more than quantity. I was leaving it up to the OP to discover pagerank and what it does and what it can do for a site. BTW, one PR 8 link has more weight that 500 PR3 links. Some would say it has more weight than 10,000 PR3 links...

[ QUOTE ]
however, if you get added to a linkpage that is simply a thousand links of websites, this wont get counted. you need to get onto websites that put your links on their page with lots of content. if they receive regular hits on this page then it is much more likely to get counted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Google doesn't know how many hits a page gets. All that matters is that the page is indexed (and that it doesn't have 1,000 links like you said).

[ QUOTE ]
one thing that i came up with, but am not 100% sure if it works or not, is to create layers on your website and display the links on one of the bottom layers. for instance, you have a group of links on a designated area on your site and put a colored table layer on top of it, or an image. nobody will ever see these links because they are covered, but they will count.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is horrible advice. Using hidden text/links will get you banned.

[ QUOTE ]
your designer probably cannot do this with handcoding, but it can easily be done with a program like sitespinner, which you can get off cnet. the program is a drag and drop html editor, and does alot more than what handcoded html can do. ive used it before and it makes gorgeous websites. its also very easy to make the layers that ive mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can do anything by hand that a WYSIWYG editor does.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 AM

You should include meta tags on your page.

Here's some info
Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 PM

If you're paying for webhosting, a lot of those sites will have a search engine submit tool in the control panel, I found that worked for mine.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM

thank you for correcting alot of my misconceptions. however, you did misinterpret alot of what i said. as for html/sitespinner, you can obviously handcode anything that a program can code. however, sitespinner can produce some things alot faster than a handcoder can. that is not to say that these programs are better than handcoded sites.

sitespinner also codes a couple other basic languages, which can obviously not be done by a person only familiar with html.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're paying for webhosting, a lot of those sites will have a search engine submit tool in the control panel, I found that worked for mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those really should be never used.

Here's more info.. http://searchenginewatch.com/webmast...le.php/2167871
Old 05-05-2005, 11:58 PM

Since we are on the subject here. My website is #1 or very close to it on Yahoo and other SE's for its keywords. I will not spam what they are. On Google they are on the 5th page or beyond. Most of the sites between my site and the top are forum spam, bogus press releases and sites or content that have nothing to do with this particular poker keyword. I was once on the 1st or 2nd page of Google before all of this spam found it's way to the first 5 pages. What can I do? When I was a PR1 site I was 1st or 2nd page, now that I am PR4 with 10 or so PR3 pages on my site (which is great for being 6 months old since the highest I ever saw a gambling site was PR6) why am I so low when I am the top on every other SE out there?

Thanks for any input. It has been a frustration I cannot understand. I hope or think it is just a flaw in Google and eventually all this spam will vanish of the top page and legit sites can get the space they deserve.