41-45% 4 8.16%
46+% 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Cable Internet Service?

I'm on 6 down/768k up for $55 ahhh ya.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 AM

I've got both Comcast Cable and BellSouth DSL ..whenever one goes down I just enable the other LAN connection and voila I have a backup..It has saved me probably a dozen pots having both.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If his parents are 83 and 85, im guessing he's way beyond that stage in his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never assume ANYTHING in life!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM

To be fair to SBC, they do have a dial up connection that I could use if I lost connection, but its really slow. I'm not sure that I play enough to warrant spending $100 a month for internet.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:42 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
the wiring in my new place was so messed up that the DSL was almost unusuable for a month until I rewired all the connections. I still have problems sometimes when people are on the phone, which is annoying as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have DSL filters on all of your phones? The phones should not be affecting your DSL at all; if they are, it means that they're sending random signals on the wires used by the DSL.

I have Verizon DSL, and I love it. I seldom have any outages at all, and only once or twice in the past 5 years has one lasted more than a few minutes. The thing that worries me about cable is that you're sharing the bandwidth with the whole neighborhood; this is fine when you're the only one around with cable Internet, but what happens when everyone has it and uses it extensively? You don't have to share DSL bandwidth (except possibly for others in your own household), and I like it that way.

-Mike
Old 05-04-2005, 02:49 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the cable neighborhood aspect is pretty blown out of proportion. i used to beta test cable for charter back when it wasn't even bidirectional (you used a dial-up connection for everything you uploaded) and had it for some time afterward. the neighborhood issue was a big deal initially. right now i have a condo in a community of *1400* (seriously dense population). dsl is more or less unavailable, so everybody with broadband uses cable. i never have problems with it. i also used speakeasy/covad dsl for years and was very happy with it. issues like this break down to local service coverage and isps, it can't be spoken about generally service-wise.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:02 PM

Yeah, there are filters on all the phones. The phone that causes problems is a cordless, which I understand happens from time to time due to the frequency the phone uses. There's info on DSLreports about this. The problems now are pretty rare, but it was very frustrating when I first got it.