Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Fold to a turn raise in 5/10?

A benefit of calling the turn is (a), he will check behind on the river some percentage of the time, either because he was semibluffing on the turn or he just plain wimped out, and (b), the BB will sometimes either call or bet out on the river, which makes it much easier for you to fold your hand if you didn't improve.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A benefit of calling the turn is (a), he will check behind on the river some percentage of the time, either because he was semibluffing on the turn or he just plain wimped out, and (b), the BB will sometimes either call or bet out on the river, which makes it much easier for you to fold your hand if you didn't improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see those benefits, but does that make it strong enough to call the turn raise? I still feel that folding the turn raise is best. As he might not have KQ, and, there is still another player in the hand.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:01 PM

This situation just sucks. I think folding sucks less than paying off.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see those benefits, but does that make it strong enough to call the turn raise? I still feel that folding the turn raise is best. As he might not have KQ, and, there is still another player in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I think the best pure line is to call the turn raise and fold the river unimproved. I'm usually suspicious of turn raises by players with position.

However, I do have trouble making the river fold sometimes. I find myself calling a lot on the river in similar situations against an unknown for informational purposes. I'm never sure whether the information is worth whatever fraction of a BB I paid for it, though.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:19 PM

seems like no one can agree on this hand
Old 05-02-2005, 03:48 PM

Reads would really be valuable here. From a pure pot odds perspective, if you have 5 outs then it's an easy call. But you need to discount your outs:
Two of your outs will put a 3rd diamond on board.
Your A's could be tainted, either by BB chasing w/ Ax (and the x is already paired) or by AK somewhere.

You'd really like to know if BB is a chaser and if Button would semi-bluff raise here with a straight or flush draw (or both). Without a read, I'd lean towards calling the turn and with the rag coming on the river, calling one bet there too.