Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: The Importance of Aggression

Do you understand why you bet the river?

Either you want a worse hand to call...

Or you think a better hand will fold.

I don't think this situation is neither, single pairs aren't going anywhere.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm betting the flop because I have 2 overcards and am trying to cut down the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

General statements like this are really dangerous. If you always bet flops when you raised preflop and you have two overcards then I promise your strategy is less than optimal.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm betting the turn because I have the nut flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't. And even if you did, so what? When did having a draw suddenly become license to bet? Personally, I would like to hit my draw and setting yourself up to pay 2 BB on the turn to chase a draw is a disaster.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm betting the river because I'm the only play left who has shown any aggression and I believe that I will get the other two to fold 6% of the time or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also imagine your AK high is good 6% of the time or more. Coincidence? I think not.

-DeathDonkey
Old 05-01-2005, 07:19 AM

I just tried out that theory... ran into pocket aces [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Seriously though... too many calling stations that will call down with any crap at the low levels. Selectively using this, especially with scare cards is can be effective, but is very read dependent, i.e. effective against tight/weak, loose/weak. Good luck tho...
Old 05-01-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you understand why you bet the river?

Either you want a worse hand to call...

Or you think a better hand will fold.

I don't think this situation is neither, single pairs aren't going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may get called by a K-high busted draw (highly unlikely)

You may get a fold from A-high or a lower pair that was chasing the flush.

The 2/4 games have a lot of ppl that are proud of making good folds.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm betting the turn because I have the nut flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't. And even if you did, so what? When did having a draw suddenly become license to bet? Personally, I would like to hit my draw and setting yourself up to pay 2 BB on the turn to chase a draw is a disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he really had the nut flush draw wouldn't that be a case of a semi-bluff? flush draw + 2 overcards.

However it's not the nut flush draw. And I wouldn't be surprised if BB were a Motorhead fan.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:51 AM

K-High will never call, A high might fold but I wouldn't put him on that, and a pair will never fold.

The value bet is bad.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
K-High will never call, A high might fold but I wouldn't put him on that, and a pair will never fold.

The value bet is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Just thinking loudly what the possibilities could be. They all seem very low. I don't have the experience - reads to estimate so I would personally not put this bet.
And to correct: A-high belongs to the worse hands that might call the bet.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:43 AM

Sorry, 2nd to nut flush draw. Wish I could read my own hands. Anyway, my betting on every street continues to mark me as the aggressor, and the lack of aggression against me shows that I am most likely not up against a huge hand. As kapw7 very importantly pointed out, people are proud of making good folds. A lot of people also chase to the river, hoping to improve their small pair to two pair or better. While the technical analysis in this forum is superb, I think most people give the average player on Party too much credit. My continuous betting sets me up to have a shot at getting others to fold. This is probably the biggest pot I have taken down this way, but I regularly take down others. I have been flamed here, but I'm just trying to help everybody out. YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON MONEY BY NOT BETTING THE RIVER IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, 2nd to nut flush draw. Wish I could read my own hands. Anyway, my betting on every street continues to mark me as the aggressor, and the lack of aggression against me shows that I am most likely not up against a huge hand. As kapw7 very importantly pointed out, people are proud of making good folds. A lot of people also chase to the river, hoping to improve their small pair to two pair or better. While the technical analysis in this forum is superb, I think most people give the average player on Party too much credit. My continuous betting sets me up to have a shot at getting others to fold. This is probably the biggest pot I have taken down this way, but I regularly take down others. I have been flamed here, but I'm just trying to help everybody out. YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON MONEY BY NOT BETTING THE RIVER IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't think the forum posters around here will bet the river when they think they can get the other guy to fold? If that's the case you are sorely mistaken. They are just trying to put some disclaimers on your "just bet the whole way when no one shows any aggression" theory. Being a maniac in hands where you don't have the best hand can and will cost you money. If you can't see that then I feel sorry for your bankroll.

It works when the game context and situation is setup right. This will not be a strategy to use every time you have two overcards that hit nothing but air.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't see that then I feel sorry for your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

K.