Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Serious tax problem.. Need advice.

You do not have a serious tax problem, you have a serious legal problem. This is not the place to get help. Get a lawyer.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:30 AM

Ok, so everyone right now that plays poker on the internet is paying taxes? I'm 19 years old and I plan to play a lot of poker online. I'm not gonna have the same problem as this troubled man 3-4 years from now am I??? Jesus 60grand is a ton of debt. I pray for you.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Open new poker accounts in your girlfriends name, PAY freakin taxes on this new money. Tell the IRS you'd like to pay but your currently unemployed. Your unemployed right? poker money going to a gf, go on welfare, cash the check and mail money back to IRS.
Or move to China. Gambling is illegal in all of China except the city: Macau.
Or contact a lawyer
Old 05-02-2005, 12:09 PM

I'm trying to figure out how the IRS came up with the 60K. The only way I can figure is you must have won some tournaments or large slot or pit game payouts that got reported. But since you never filed, they have no way of deducting your losses. Therefore, they're taxing you on all your gross winnings reported to them.
Get a lawyer and file your 2001 return. Deduct all your losses. If you didn't keep records, that may be harder to substantiate. You'll still need to pay penalty and interest, but you should owe less than 60K.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:30 PM

Obviously get a lawyer.

Also, you have never filed a tax return???? Perhaps getting a clue would help some, too.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so everyone right now that plays poker on the internet is paying taxes? I'm 19 years old and I plan to play a lot of poker online. I'm not gonna have the same problem as this troubled man 3-4 years from now am I??? Jesus 60grand is a ton of debt. I pray for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone pays there taxes. I do. My suggestion would be to pay your taxes. Get a good accountant and just pay them. IANAL but my understanding is that tax avoidance (stretching interpretations and such to minimize how much you pay) is something you can get called on and maybe fined over, tax evasion (just not reporting income or paying your taxes) is something you can go to prison for. Coming in late (if you are worried about this year) is just a penalty type foul (and the penalties from my understanding are not exhorbanant).

If you are 19 and a winning player, in addition to a good accountant you might want to get a good financial planner. You are in good position to build quite a nice port folio for yourself if you don't do what I would have done at 19 (which is just blow the money).
Old 05-02-2005, 12:49 PM

By large notice do you mean like the checks they give to the people that win the lottery? Because that would be really cool. How did they get it in the mailbox?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:51 PM

Re: Serious tax problem...

"Is there any other kind?" - Col. Jessep
Old 05-02-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Welcome to the Police State

You're screwed. No one gets away from Big Brother. The government is going to expropriate your earnings and property and there's nothing you can do about it. Get a lawyer and try to minimize your losses. Why have you never filed a tax return? I hate paperwork and bureaucracy, so I don't blame you for that, but it is a little odd.