Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.
Default Re: would you expect to be paid?

[ QUOTE ]
Labor laws vary from state to state, but in general if the meeting is mandatory, you are supposed to be paid.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in Wisconsin, maybe I can find something on this. The staff meeting was posted by the time clock, also each got a memo and that it was "very important to let boss know if you can not attend" I'd say we all were under the assumption it was mandatory..
Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is completely unrelated to poker, but something happened today at work that got me wanting to vent somewhere and it just happens to be here.

How many of you have meetings at work and do you get paid during those meetings?

Today we had a 1 hr 30 minute meeting at work, basically because we're about to go into the busy season. Boss just going over all our little mistakes giving his usual speech that we've all heard a million times, + going over the employee handbook that was re-written but the same. and letting us know how the business is doing etc.

Before this meeting, he told everyone who was already at work to punch out for the meeting. The people who arrived to work specifically for the meeting (like me and the majority of the people there since we don't work many hours in slow season) I guess were also told not to punch in and when someone questioned that later he said no, "it's standard in the industry not to be paid for meetings."

I of course had punched in since I wasn't around to be told not to and why would I *not* punch in while at work for work-related meetings? I don't know if I will get paid for it or not until I see my check. I mean why would anyone volunteer 1.5 hours of their time to be lectured by their boss ?

Does anyone else think this is clearly messed up ? Everyone seemed pretty annoyed afterward talking about how they couldn't get paid for that time. I don't think he's ever made an issue of this before.

Just curious if this is really how things go out there, or if my boss is being completely unreasonable. I mean one lady drove 45 minutes for this meeting and then is told specifically she can't punch in for it. I think thats nuts to expect that from your employees. This bothers me a lot.

Have you ever heard of such craziness? Do you get paid for meetings at work? Thanks for any comments...

[/ QUOTE ]

pull a Milton on them and burn the place down
Old 04-29-2005, 04:57 PM

I would have walked out. What a joke.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:11 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

that is a joke
Old 04-29-2005, 05:12 PM

This is beyond bullshit. I wouldn't stand for it. I'd have quit and walked out of there on the spot if they maintained that non-sense.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"If you don't come in on friday, don't bother coming in on monday"
Old 04-29-2005, 05:19 PM

If you wanted to make an issue of this, it's not legal. The basic idea is that of "working time" under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Read This That link talks about what you have to get paid for. What this guy did was BS.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"If you don't come in on friday, don't bother coming in on monday"

[/ QUOTE ]

Woohoo! 4-day weekend!
Old 04-29-2005, 05:29 PM

A lot of labor lawyers will do plaintiff's work on contingency. You could maybe group up with all your other co-workers and have a worthwhile case (for the lawyer), especially if this had occurred several times.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:31 PM

I would imagine if you are pure commission, you wouldn't expect to be paid for meetings. If you are an hourly employee you certainly should be. You could complain to the state labor board. A lot depends on how much you value this job. Is it a throwaway, easily replaceable job with crappy pay? Definitely lodge a complaint. Are you a highly paid professional (probably not if you punch a clock) who is afraid of being put on a sh*tlist? Shut up and deal with it, unless the whole office is willing to revolt. This isn't what Norma Rae would do but it's practical. Your boss may not fire you for raising a stink (he'd worry about a lawsuit) but you may find yourself passed over for promotions and your work quality receiving extra scrutiny. It sucks, but it happens every day all over the country. Good luck.