Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Just cant seem to get my VPIP up

My numbers for PP 10/20 after 9K+ hands:

VPIP:16.37
Fold SB: 90.53
Fold BB: 55.17
Att. Steal: 21.36

I think your numbers depend on what game you're playing too, I tried to raise my VPIP a while ago and just found that it caused me to lose money. I decided that having a low VPIP is just the style that best suits me, so I'm not planning on changing it unless I start losing, because now i'm comfortable with my win rate. If you're winning at a decent rate and don't feel completely comfortable playing the minutely +EV hands/positions, etc i don't see a need to start playing more hands.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:29 PM

Read QTip's VPIP thread, particularly my reply. The trick to getting your VPIP up is getting to pots with mediocre hands with terrible players. If it's middle position and the only player in yet is awful, I'm likely to make an isolation raise with A9o. I'm also willing to limp behind a very bad player with hands that are normally reserved for late position or perhaps not played at all depending on how awful this player is. I know that I can get paid off or escape and I make good money this way.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:57 PM

I played winning poker for a long time with a VP$IP of just over 14. 16 is only slightly on the low side.

I'm not saying it's optimal, but it's hardly the attrocity you think it is.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:08 PM

Given the twin flaws of "VPIP too low" and "VPIP too high," you've DEFINITELY got the better of the two "problems." Also, your VPIP isn't THAT low: while you're definitely on the tighter side of average, you're not at a pathological level of tightness. Also, remember that the extra 3-5% of hands that you're folding are the more marginal ones, where playing them gains you little but dramatically boosts your variance. My numbers:

VPIP: 19.97%
Folded SB to steal: 74.36%
Folded BB to steal: 44.90%
Attempted to steal: 33.33%

It looks like the biggest difference between us is the BB steal numbers, where I defend my big blinds about twice as often as you do. Note, however, that my numbers are only out of 8,700ish hands, and we're talking about 27 defenses out of 49 steal attempts. I've carefully picked VERY loose and passive tables, so my VPIP might be higher simply because I get more chances to limp than you do: my average table has a 36.39% VPIP and I rarely play short-handed.

Not sure if any of this helps you, but I hope so.