Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: First hand post AQs - big pot

Thanks for the help. Now, for those who say I should have raised the flop, please help me understand why (I'm not being a smartass). The way I saw it was that UI I'm probably behind, I'm not really protecting anything with a raise, and they are not going to fold for one more bet anyway. As far as a value raise is concerned, It seemed like if I re-raised the flop it might alarm them enough to check the turn, depriving me of 2-3 extra big bets if I hit any of my gazillion outs.

Aside: I'm new at this - should I post the results?

Thanks again
Old 04-29-2005, 01:26 PM

Raise this flop because with all those outs, you'll win this hand over 40% of the time with two cards yet to see. So if you can put in less than 40% of the money in on this street, you're making money.

Also raise because you have the button and often people will check to you, the aggressor, on the turn. You can then check behind them and see the river card for free if you'd like.

It's the easiest raise in hold 'em.

Edit: I have no idea what I meant by that last statement, but it's an easy raise nonetheless.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with the hand, it can influence the commentary. Usually wait until after the discussion has died down a little, but then it's ok. We all like a good trainwreck.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the help. Now, for those who say I should have raised the flop, please help me understand why (I'm not being a smartass). The way I saw it was that UI I'm probably behind, I'm not really protecting anything with a raise, and they are not going to fold for one more bet anyway. As far as a value raise is concerned, It seemed like if I re-raised the flop it might alarm them enough to check the turn, depriving me of 2-3 extra big bets if I hit any of my gazillion outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hit your card on the turn, I think that you raised the flop actually disguises your hand beause a raise usually means that you had made your hand already.

It's when you miss the turn and check behind that your hand is more obvious. But don't worry, they'll call anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 02:10 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I like the line pretty much. I'm not sure if a raise on the flop keeps enough of the others around. Once the turn hits me, I'm gunning all the way. I really like the river K to give someone trips, but boat possibilities would slow me down, so I like the calls.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:28 PM

i was thinking the same thing
Old 04-29-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop raise is for value. Getting a free card with that too is just a bonus. You have 12 outs to the nuts and three more to top pair. You will win this hand a little more than 45% of the time. But you are only putting in 33% of the money on the flop, so every bet you put in earns you money.

Also, as btspider mentioned, if a scary card (a diamond or a straight card) comes on the turn, many hands that would bet the flop will check the turn anyway, whether you raise the flop or not ; if you don't raise the flop, you're just missing out on value.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:07 PM

raise the flop for 2 reasons:
1. Your draw is so good that you are probably ahead. Raise for value.
2. Free card.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:16 PM

For anyone interested, the results are below.
Thanks for the input.

MP1 showed 99 for the rivered full house.
MP3 showed QT for the flopped straight.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:04 PM

thanks for the post, im confused by the results (hey..im easily confused)
UTG+1 and MP1 were the two involved right?
Who's who (MP1 and MP3) your results?
fyi i had utg1 on 99, and MP1 on lower flush.
brian