Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Post Reads!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only person here that hasn't invested in PT? Just really started playing back in March with nickels and dimes. Just moved up to 0.25/0.50, but if I invest in PT my account won't have the 300BB for 0.25/0.50 and grinding it out on 0.05/0.10 was horrible. My goal is to get PT by the end of next week. I've bought and read SSHE and have been reading this forum for weeks.
Does everyone keep copious notes on the players at the table? I play at Stars and don't do much with the notes, because it never seems like enough time to type information in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use PT/PV and note-taking. I'm not doing copious notes like I should, but I'm pretty aware of what's going on.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:00 AM

Thanks Wookie (and I hope that with that name you are getting excited, only 20 more days). I did download PT already, but sucked up my 1000 free hands at 0.05/0.10. I've kind of been kicking myself for the past week for that, but hindsight is 20/20.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:07 AM

I am fairly new to PT, what is the player view that you guys talk about. Also, if there isn't that much info PT on players, other than concentrating on that table only am I able to get reads. Also, the amount of people that leave and come in are so constant a lot that I have trouble looking all of them up and getting reads on them, I tend to try and look quickly when I get in a sticky situation and need a "read" to add to the other factors I am using. Please let me know if there is a better way to us PT than this.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:10 AM

Go to the PT website and download Playerview. It imports a bunch of stats that PT has stored on each player, and allows you to put player statistics next to your opponents at the table. Useful.

Also, if you play on Party/skins, when you're not playing just leave some tables open and have PT autoimport observed hands.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Note taking? there's a guy looking to get better. I never hae the attention for that, but nice job.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:30 AM

I prefer the look of GameTime+, but it's 6 SB of one, 3 BB of the other.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:50 AM

One more thing about this - of course reads are nice, but usually if you have a read playing a hand is much more straightforward. The hands I have the most trouble with is when someone new joins a table (or it's the first time around for me) so I'm playing against an unknown with a marginal-strong holding.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree completely. Betting patterns and recent hands shown down would be very helpful. My concern is that people aren't getting reads at all, or playing completely by intuition.

I often sit down at a table with complete unknowns. I do my best to get reads on their play and note their shown hands. After I get enough hands to let PT look at, I am off a lot of times on my assessment of their tightness or aggressiveness. It just seems strange that a good portion of posted hands are "just sat down" hands. If I have one of these, I wait until I have some PT stats on the players and replay/review the hand later with reads (both mine and PT).

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is we might've played the hand differently if we looked at his stats 100 hands later, and you could get given wrong advice to take against an unknown (which he was when you played against him if you just sat down).

For instance you find out your opponent is a maniac many hands later and post the read and everyone tells you to call down with ace high, when you played the hand he was an unknown to you and you probably shouldn't take this line against an unknown.

Reads are helpful, but I think learning default plays against unknowns are helpful too.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but it's 6 SB of one, 3 BB of the other

[/ QUOTE ]

<chuckle> That was clever. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM

"I just sat down" does count. But I think it's overused by people who haven't actually "just sat down".