Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Human Nature

[ QUOTE ]
The only way to overcome this is to have a sound theoretical understanding of the game. Only then can your results not affect your thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense, but i call bs here

i know plenty of horrible and mediocre poker players than never are unhappy when playing the game
Old 05-03-2005, 12:15 PM

They are not trying as hard as you do to improve. In fact, they may not be trying to improve at all.

They enjoy poker in the same way that someone watches randomly flashing lights and believes they're pretty.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They enjoy poker in the same way that someone watches randomly flashing lights and believes they're pretty.

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhhhhh wow look at the pretty colors [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Why Am I So Results Driven?

[ QUOTE ]
changed over from UB to Party about 5 days ago

i started off on track winning about 10BB/100hands (no limit) but then took a downswing and barely stayed above breakeven for about 5K hands, i was pretty sure it was bad luck

during this time i began to question my abilities and begin to think that maybe my style is no good at Party and I really am just a break even player

now just recently i hit an upswing and my results are coming much closer to what i expected (about 9BB/100hands) and now feel overconfident, like it's only a matter of time before i'm playing about 4 limits higher than my current limit

so here's the thing, i know the math, i understand the variance (for me about 4BB/100hands after 7K hands) but my confidence in my own abilities still waxes and wanes over near meaningless numbers

and since having confidence is needed to play well, this effect can amplify my swings, increasing my variance

do any of you guys have similar problems? any tips to help steady myself?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I am moving a limit or trying a new game or site I make the move gradually and I keep my sessions short and I spend a extra time analyzing and thinking about the new sessions. I often do it immediately after the session so that my thoughts and frame of mind during the session are fresh. I pay special attention to what my opponents are doing and how they react to what I am doing as opposed to what I expected them to be doing and how I expected them to react. Before too long I begin to understand the dynamics of the new limit or game and can see what adjustments I need to make and what skills I need to improve and I become more comfortable and increase the frequency and duration of my sessions at the new limit/game.

Regards
Jim

Oh I kind of missed the point. The point is that for me learning and particularly understanding the new game or limit takes a lot of the anxiety out of the switch.