Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: sneaky trips first hand of a mini step 4

He can't bet only 300 into this pot. The problem is that he only has 625 left at this point, and he would be betting 300 into a pot of 1200+. This is not likely to be enough to make anybody fold. Even if they push over the top of him at that point, he's going to be getting such good odds (at least 7:1) that he pretty much has to call and take his chances, because folding is going to leave him with such a short stack anyway. For that reason, Che says that the only bet he can make is all-in, essentially.

The other thing is that your analysis looks to be a little results-oriented. You appear to be relatively new here, so here is one of the mantras: the results don't matter. You should always try and analyze the play on the basis of what you knew going into the hand, not what you knew afterwards, because that's representative of how the game is played.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:02 PM

a) i'd much rather play against 1 bad guy than 2. a caller makes it much more likely that you're beat, and that a lot of your "outs" are not.

b) as it happened, i'd fold. i would have folded even if the SB had folded. after the flop action i would have bet a lot of money that the button had 78, a flush draw, 6x, or a flopped boat.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about 'sneaky' trips is that you have to pay off with them more then usual

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I definitely pay off (and back into winning in this case) if this was a multitable or even if it was a regular SNG (probably), but the flat nature of the payout in the step 4 tilted me toward folding and playing on.

Even with this structure, I would have been all-in on any non-flush card, but SB's play screamed flush draw IMHO so I folded. Oh well...

Later,
Che
Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You appear to be relatively new here,

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard that in a while. 1200+ posts and a 2003 reg date usually clear that up for people pretty fast. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The other thing is that your analysis looks to be a little results-oriented. You appear to be relatively new here, so here is one of the mantras: the results don't matter. You should always try and analyze the play on the basis of what you knew going into the hand, not what you knew afterwards, because that's representative of how the game is played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I guess I do post "results-oriented" threads in the sense that I post hands where someone shows down a hand I totally didn't expect in order to find out whether I should have expected it or if they're just crazy.

If the SB had showed a flush or a boat, I certainly wouldn't have posted the hand since my read would have (appeared to have) been correct.

I appreciate the reminder. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Later,
Che

Edit: I have rarely posted in this forum (at least since you registered) so I can understand why you would see me as new. Fair enough.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You appear to be relatively new here,

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard that in a while. 1200+ posts and a 2003 reg date usually clear that up for people pretty fast. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks to me like that comment was in reply to rollingdirty's comment, not your's.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:37 PM

hahahahahahahaha
Old 04-28-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile, I do not think the button needs to be beating me to push, but the SB *should* be beating trip 6's to make this call don't you think? There's an obvious flush on board and a board pair so AA with heart should be at the bottom end of his calling range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say you're SB (and misclicked about three times on prior streets). You call PF hoping to trap, bet out on that relatively harmless flop and get raised by what looks an awful lot like jacks. The button coldcalls, which could mean A6 or, more likely, a flush draw/TT/etc. If I'm SB, I don't think the button beats me right now.

Now you hit the turn, which, even if bad, gives you 13 outs counting the other aces/sixes. The raiser checks his (something that doesn't beat a flush) and the button pushes. Does the button push a flush or trips? Maybe, maybe not, but you have 11/13 outs if he does so you call. Having screwed up the hand thus far the call makes sense.

Having said that, from your perspective this looks bad enough so that I'd fold and then sigh on the river.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Default apologies to gumpzilla

gump-

I misread who you were replying to. My mistake. Sorry!

I recognized you so I thought that was a weird thing to say... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Again, I'm sorry.

Che

PS - Thanks to DownLow for pointing out my error and no thanks to schwza for being such a clown. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]