Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Do Big Name Players, like 6600 plrs in WSOP?

[ QUOTE ]
Those who are primarily playing to win money will be happy with the larger turnout.

Those who are primarily playing to win the tournament will have reservations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, well put!

Vince
Old 04-28-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those who are primarily playing to win money will be happy with the larger turnout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy for the tournament, or for the side games [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

"Day 1" took 2 days last year. With 3X the players, it could take 4 or 5 days this year. Even if they could do "Day 1" in 3 days, that's 4400 poker players a day not playing in the tournament. I'll bet there's some dead cash money in that crowd.

And if they could cut the field in half the "first day", that means 3300 players for "day 2", which again might have to be split into 2 days. This "day 2" would be bigger than "day 1" last year. This leaves 2 more side-game days for the half of that group not playing, and the 3300 who already busted out.

Where are they going to get, and put, that many extra tables and dealers? Both for the WSOP and for the extra side games?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:47 PM

I agree that most like it. Although they may be a bit annoyed that winning the BIG event (pride / satisfaction / thrill of being the world champion and getting that precious ME bracelet) is less likely.

Some Pro's will also be very annoyed when they step on a mine. Oh well, you can't have that huge prize pool without any downside.

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are they going to get, and put, that many extra tables and dealers? Both for the WSOP and for the extra side games?

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS is what I've been wondering. Will there be luxor/excal/mirage/NYNY (reno/tahoe/AC) dealers in the boxes? They must have a warehouse for all those tables AFTER the tournament.

I'm thinking of heading down there this year during the WSOP just for the side games. They should be incredible.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Happy for the tournament, or for the side games

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty is not referring to the side games. Although for pros side games are a plus. The more players in the tournament the greater the overlay. Thus the greater the probability of a pro mkaing money by just getting into the money. However, the more players the less likely or harder it is to win the tournament. Guys like Sklansky are a virtual shoe in to make money but not likely to win the tourney.

Vince
Old 04-28-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure they would because it's just more dead money.

Not that anyone has a choice!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is higher expectation at the cost of higher variance, IMO. The best players shouldn't care one way or the other... unless they happen to like winning more money.

This does get me thinking, though.

With the field jumping from 2600 to say.. 5200, for simplicity's sake, how much edge is gained by the quality of the new players? If the best players entries are worth 3 buyins or so, can we assume that the average value of a new player's entry is $8000 or so?

2 important factors in my estimate:
1. Length of the event will make the WORST players very -EV, as they wil have to get lucky for a longer series of bad plays.
2. A lot of the new players are anywhere from slightly to greatly +EV, but how many?

So 26m in new money, 5.2m of which is dead. A 0 EV player in last years tournament now has a 10% edge?

-adam
Old 04-28-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Happy for the tournament, or for the side games [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

"Day 1" took 2 days last year. With 3X the players, it could take 4 or 5 days this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 3 daily heats of 2000+200alternates. This has been known for months.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More bad players means Higher EV and higher variance. I'm sure most top-level pros will like the higher EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap. You beat me to it. I really should read the whole thread before I post.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do Big Name Players, like 6600 plrs in WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that the length of one's name has anything to do with whether they like the expanding size of the field.

Antonio Esfandiari is just as likely or unlikely to have issues with it as Chip Jett.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Do Big Name Players, like 6600 plrs in WSOP?

I asked the question to Men "The Master" last night on Live@theBike, and he said "bring em on the more the merrier!"

He then said once he gets through the amateurs, it will be clear sailing.