Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Overplayed Aces?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably take a different line here. Most likely fire out a potsized bet and see what he does. Course then you're going to have to decided what to do if he raises you...AK would probably just call, but anything stronger most likely raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this logic, it seems like a pretty easy fold if raised, correct? I can't see being raised by AK either, so I would have to figure a raise is a set. Is this too weak? Maybe, but without a read I would have to play it safe, as hero's hand is pretty defined.

Oh, and to the OP - don't play with scared money.

-Trail
Old 04-27-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks to me like villain wants to take it down w/o a fight with something like JJ or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking at the time, but I had already f'd up the hand so much that I only had 2 choices and I hate the choice I made without any type of read. I was definitely uncomfortable at this limit and I couldn't handle the pressure of a big hand.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:09 PM

I mostly agree with kagame. Raise preflop doesn't need to be much more. $55-60 sounds about right.

Flop play is terrible. I wouldn't reraise all-in here even if I knew that Villain had AK, because you may let him get away. The better line against AK is to get the money in installments by leading the flop and perhaps the turn as well. Very few cards are likely to kill your action, and I don't put Villain on JQ here, so no need to get it all in on the flop.

As it worked out, I think that you were badly outplayed. I think that Villain is ahead of AK and put you squarely on AK or AA -- thus the huge overbet.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:17 PM

Who reraises preflop with AK or AA and then checks that flop? I think that villain thinks hero has QQ or JJ and checked because of the king on the flop.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:33 PM

So what do you put Villain on? Nothing but air I assume. If Villain has a K, why push out JJ or QQ with a huge overbet on the flop?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who reraises preflop with AK or AA and then checks that flop? I think that villain thinks hero has QQ or JJ and checked because of the king on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you were right Iceman, but everyone else nailed it. Villian had 88 and took my stack. I guess the lesson from this is don't play over your BR.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:42 PM

Why make a huge overbet and push out AA if he has a monster?
I think villain has some middle pair. Im willing to bet my stack he cant beat AA right now.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:47 PM

OK fine, I lost my stack too. But based on the advice you always hear here to not make a big bet or raise that will fold off a worse hand, then villain badly misplayed his hand.

I wouldve lost my stack, but most people here wouldve folded which clearly makes his play wrong. I cant say Ive ever seen someone make a double pot sized bet with a set after getting the flop checked to him in a pot that was raised and reraised preflop.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:47 PM

well, you just got stacked off then.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Actually, playing over your bankroll is the most fun. I usually play much better. Occasionally playing over your BR is fine. Don't get so down on yourself. Just set a limit from which you will drop down again.

You were being a bit too much results oriented. Once you build up again from 1/2 I would try the 3/6. Since, I assume you are a winning player, you will beat the 3/6 in time. Just don't go 4 buyins deep this time.