Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: punishing aggressive tricksters

[ QUOTE ]
c/r the flop in hopes of getting threebet, so you can repeat on the turn. The flop checkraise spells 'I want to take the pot away from you' to a lot of these types. If he just calls, he'll often raise the turn with any hand and you get the chance to 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this line with a flopped monster. The flop CR screams that you have a weak made hand you are trying to protect. He won't give you credit for much and if he smoothcalls its even better because he will probably try to pop you on the turn. Then you get to open up a can of whoop ass on him.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/r the flop in hopes of getting threebet, so you can repeat on the turn. The flop checkraise spells 'I want to take the pot away from you' to a lot of these types. If he just calls, he'll often raise the turn with any hand and you get the chance to 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. The c/r 3-bet on the flop worked out, but the turn was an A and he decided to check behind me. D'oh. He didn't even call my river bet, so all in all I ended up making the minimum.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2005, 04:38 PM

Old 04-27-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is an aggressive, tricky player....Overall he is a very good player, and I'm sure he has me pegged as tight-aggressive.....
Villain open-limps in MP, all fold to me in the BB. I have 53o and I check.

Flop is 553r.

What is your line of attack to dole out the maximum punishment to the villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably sees you as even more tighter than you do and will smell it and release if you c/r or 3 bet. I'd just bet out, call if raised and bet again. Unless you'll c/r or 3 bet a 553 flop against good players like him with 72o or A high, you're pegged and there's not much else you can do to make him pay you.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Hi Piggity,

I'm pretty surprised at all the aggressive play recommended by the fellow posters. You mentioned that he is very aggressive on the flop and turn, but you never mentioned that he was a calling station or a stupid player. From your brief description, he seemed like a pretty good player who plays too loose preflop. You definitely lost profit here. Make his play backfire on him. Check, check, bet.