Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: 3/6 QQ - Check behind on the turn?

The villain seems like a passive calling station. If he has an A, he's never folding, so not much you can do about that. However, I doubt you get checkraised unless he has Aces up. Therefore you still give yourself the chance to catch a Q.

If you bet the turn, you pick up another bet from mid-pocket pairs and whatever draw he may be on. He may also do something dumb like fold a K. I doubt this type of player bluffs the river very often, so if he checks to you again with his junk, you will take the free showdown and miss a bet.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:43 PM

what about the possibility of that person folding a weak K or A if you bet the turn. And by not betting, you are giving someone who could have any hand a chance to catch up with a crap pair or a straight draw. If you bet the turn, and he just calls, chances are he will check the river more times than bet out. And, if he check raises you, you were probably losing anyways. So it is costing you the same amount not to give free cards away and give him a chance to fold the turn as it is to just check the turn and bet the river.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:44 PM

Okay thanks, I'm seeing it now, wasn't taking into account the other draws Villain might have (gutshots), or the fact that he will call the turn with underpockets.

Against an aggressive opponent would you consider inducing the bluff here?

//addict, w00t
Old 04-26-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against an aggressive opponent would you consider inducing the bluff here?

[/ QUOTE ]
It may not be correct, but against an aggressive player I'd like to get to showdown cheaply and it also gives him the oppurtunity to bluff the river but not the turn. So yes, I would.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:01 PM

I only check through the turn if their check/raise stat is something above average, or I've seen them check/raise bluff on the turn with something worse than top pair. It might not be correct, but that's how I do it.