Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 08:13 PM

Default Re: 50-100 hand

why are you raising the flop w/ way the worst of it if youre beat, someone betting into you, someone calling, and all those cold callers behind you?

Good point but here's how I see it. I mentioned the BB was a "pseudo aggressive player". I'd seen him bet out on the flop a few times before from the blinds and then fold to a raise. The flop itself didn't particulary scare me. The L1's flop call didn't particularly scare me either.

I figured a relatively cheap raise on the flop might settle some of the dust. It was either that or fold. A call would have been dreadful. Perhaps a fold would have been better over the long term? I'll accept that as a possibilty but given the circumstances/lineup/pre-flop action I obviously thought a raise was a more profitable play.

As to my pre-flop raise what choice did I have? A medium pair is too good against a live one to just call, especially when I'm next to act.

I'm curious Mike how you would have played the hand pre-flop and flop in that position. Just call? Fold?

Best of luck, Billy (LTL)
Old 11-13-2002, 08:51 PM

"Good point but here's how I see it. I mentioned the BB was a "pseudo aggressive player". I'd seen him bet out on the flop a few times before from the blinds and then fold to a raise."

this is normally the trait of a very good player, but perhaps there were some other things that led you to believe he was bad/weak.

"As to my pre-flop raise what choice did I have? A medium pair is too good against a live one to just call, especially when I'm next to act."

given that your preflop raise did little in the way of isolating weakie (5 of you saw the flop) and getting out pesky overcards i think a limp would be more in order. much of the reason to raise preflop with 77 is to get it heads up where is stands a better chance of standing up unimproved and you can ouplay your lone opponent. another reason is so you can take a free card on the flop if you like, but with BB there that wasnt too likely either.

on the flop i wouldve folded with a bettor and then caller. but i understand you had a good read and decided to get aggressive. im glad it worked out this time, but i dont think it usually would given what you described.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:17 PM

I would have just folded right on the flop here.

PokerPrince
Old 11-14-2002, 07:55 AM

Thanks to all who responded. The posts gave me something to think about.

I find it very interesting that some of the responses had nothing to do with what I asked and that's very valuable in that it forces me to look at something I'd considered just standard play against certain types of opponents.

Having said that and considered both my pre-flop and flop play some more I maintain they were both played correctly in this case. It was my turn and river play which sucked.