Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Next step after 3-6

[ QUOTE ]
If you've played 50k hands at 3/6, you're experienced at short-handed play already. It goes a bit deeper than this, obviously, but basically speaking you can treat any 6-max hand like you would a blind steal situation on a full table.

You do get a lot of blind stealing/defense at 3-6. I suppose the difference is not a lot at the same table, if you're practicing good selection. I imagine at 6 max you will have to vary your game and really get good reads on people, since you will be in the same situations over and over w/ the people at your table. The other obvious difference is you are forced to be looser and more aggressive--you can let go your blinds (or not try to steal) against a tough opponent at a full game w/o it killing your BB/100.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to start out playing some 5/10 full to get you used to the stakes and maybe build a profit cushion before jumping into the short games. I say this mainly because it would probably be a big help for your confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice. Sometimes the culture shock of the 2-digit big bet will affect your play. You have to think of it as just 1 bet, but it can be hard to do when you first get there.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:37 PM

I think it would be a mistake do dive right into 5/10 6-max. Only because as the other posters said, there is a bit of a monetary shock both positive and negative at the 5/10 level.

I imagine for a good portion of the posters on this board (myself included) $500 is a good sum of money (if it is not, then good for you), it takes a little bit to get comfortable with the idea of routinely losing/winning $500 in a night if you are not used to it.

The first time I lost $900 in a day at 5/10 full, I almost cried. I also seriously considered moving down to .5/1. The first time I won $1100 in a day I was convinced that I should phone it in the next morning and just start playing for a living (well not quite... but I was pretty proud of myself.).

My history with this level is short (about 6 weeks), but I think if I am honest, I would say its took me 3 weeks (about 10,000 hands for me), to get comfortable. I no longer get excited when I see I am up $500 during a session and I don't really get particularly agitated seeing that I am down $400-$600.

I just think you should take your time. I play primarily 5/10 full, but I try to work in about 800-1200 6-max hands a week. There is no need to do just one or the other.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:35 PM

When play 6max you cant use your normal fullboard preflop starthand list. And you must learn to defense blinds... It is pretty hard for a fullboard player on 3/6 just start playing 5/10 6max with no experince from the shorthanded games. But the play on a 5/10 shorthanded is more similiar 15/30 fullboard then 3/6 is? How is the best way to learn the starting hands and blind defense on 5/10 shorthanded?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Do you think a standard Bankroll of 300 BB would be sufficient enough to withstand these fluctuations?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:09 PM

5/10 6max...I'm sure others have elaborated...
Old 04-26-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think a standard Bankroll of 300 BB would be sufficient enough to withstand these fluctuations?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have heard, no.