Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: AA Against the Table Aggressor

[ QUOTE ]
...the problem with miniraising is that it's usualy a pattern used by predictable players when they hold a big hand, and so you are simply leaking information to villain, which will make it easier on him to call and avoid mistakes post flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense. In fact, I've tried this type of play (min-raising) when only holding 2,2 (quack, quack), representing the monster. I knew that they knew that I knew that a minraise meant AA. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Took the pot.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same way. Sorry you lost to the rivered boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you really make the tiny reraise pre-flop and the overbet on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pay that much attention to PF but I probably 'only' raise to about 3K-3500 and he calls that anyway.

Generally, hands like this one are prone to a bit of overanalysis (no doubt because many of them are bad beat posts). If a LAG calls another 1300 he'll call another 2K. It makes the pot a bit bigger on the flop but hey, if he hits he's not folding no matter how small it is.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 AM

i'm surprised everyone is suggesting basically the same way to play this hand,i think a big reraise could have took him off a steal here and just won you the 1200 he originally bet,i actually like your minraise more then the larger raises suggested,i'd be very tempted to flat call,and check any flop,expecting him to come out betting pot,with any luck making an overbet try to scare you off,and then i'd be reraising all in.
i think there are many ways to play this hand,playing it the same way every time would make you pretty easy to predict,i'm just thinking you've got it heads up in the bb without trying,so i wouldn't want to tip my hands strength here by reraising any amount,although in this situation i doubt very much it mattered how you played it,he had you covered very easily,and you say his postflop play is aggressive,so he's probably pushing against you no matter what he flops,putting you on a decision.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:18 AM

Thanks for replying. Now I know that my small reraise was just asking for trouble since I let him in for all sorts of hands. Since I knew he would probably call raises upwards to t6000 I should've raised to that amount to extract max value PF.

The reason I made an overbet on the flop was I knew villain could outplay me like I was his plaything. I don't quite understand how betting half the pot on every street will cause him to make more mistakes. Will this make villain think I'm on a draw or don't like my hand enough to bet stronger? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:47 AM

with aa here,i just get it in my head that all my chips are committed to the hand,and certainly don't worry about him outplaying me post flop,and gus hanson couldn't scare me off this hand post flop,no matter what flopped.
i think the point of betting half the pot is you're not representing top pair,and he'll more likely sense weakness and overbet the pot,that would seem like a pretty good play here also postflop.
you've auomatically gotten it heads up,with aa that makes you a big favorite.
i really think reraising preflop would be a big mistake here(except the minraise option),you're giving him to much a chance to get away from a str8 steal.in this spot,if you checked the flop,he should make a pot sized bet,3k,if he did,i'd just call(taking a little time),trying to represent that i'm on a draw,and check the turn to him,the worst thing that might happen there is a drawing card comes off,and he thinks you made your draw and stops betting,but i would expect him to make another pot sized bet on the turn,that would be the spot to reraise all in.
if he had over bet the flop with top or second pair then i'd have reraised at that point,if he checks behind you on the flop,then he's making a big mistake,and that might hurt you,then i'd have to make a change of plan and starting betting half the pot as suggested by others.hoping he was trapping you with top pair,and comes way over the top.
if he has a drawing hand,he's playing it for all your chips,so i wouldn't be concerned with that until he flops it over as a winner,then i'd be saying oh well,he got lucky.