Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Just Another Hand of Poker

I agree entirely that his play reeks of a trap. I indeed felt something was amiss when they both checked to me. I knew I needed to bet to see where I was at, and prevent a free ace from falling on the turn, but that pot sized bet was way overboard given the size of the pot and my remaining stack. I pretty much pushed all in (left myself only 30$) when I bet the pot and that was a huge mistake. Betting 1/2 the pot and then getting smooth called by the middle position guy would have set alarms in my head - I could have been able to get away from the hand at that point sensing the trap.

The way I played it, I knew I was being trapped but I didnt have enough money left to fold, I was already far too committed.

To the guy with the JJ played it very transparently, but I f'd myself over with the huge flop bet. There were no draws out there and I was either way ahead or way behind. Sometimes when a big pot rolls around and you're sitting on a high overpair you forget to think. Ah well.

For what its worth, I do think the 1/2 pot bet is the correct play and anything less might entice AK or AQ to chase their ace. Also, betting 1/4 - 1/3 might look weak to your opponents and they're liable to play back with hands you beat. 1/2 pot seems to indicate that you mean business.

Thanks for the replies.