Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: I am losing money in the blinds

Your sample size is too small.

It is possible that you have large leaks in the way you play the blinds. It is possible that you were playing well and were simply unlucky. You probably don't have enough data from the past two days to distinguish these possibilities.

There might be enough data from the 34k hands. Ignore the absolute amounts. How many BB/100 are you winning or losing from the blinds?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:40 AM

If you're losing money in the blinds (not counting the blinds themselves), then you are probably playing too loose from there.

I've always said that this was a general leak but nobody seems to agree. Completing the SB with crap and calling a minraise on the BB for "odds" will just get you into trouble. I don't know if you're doing either or both of those things, but always keep in mind that the blinds are the worst positions in the game. And defending a blind in a 100BB game is "generally" a waste.

Picture a baseball batter who's offered 4 strikes instead of 3 to try and hit a homerun from 150 yards behind the plate... You get the idea [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2005, 11:48 AM

Just thought of another thing.

A major leak I had was that I often got free hands from the big blind and I would hit something that looked good on the flop (woohoo BB special). I would then proceed to go way too far with what actually was a crappy hand and I would get suckered into donation sprees.

An example comes to mind :

I'm in the BB holding 58 and the flop comes 58T (3 players).
Turn : 7
Had I not bet my hand on the flop and turn (with the worst position of us 3), I would've been able to let go quite easily, but since I was convinced this was such a nice hit for a "free hand", I proceeded to call a double all-in from TT and J9. I still can't believe it, but that's the kind of thing I found out in my PT database when I observed my blinds stats were crappy.

In meta considerations, this also adds to tilt and what not.