Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: AK - UI What to do?

Flop bet is fine. You're probably behind but the pot is big and you have overcard and BDSD outs. Your overcards give you TPTK so you can count these as almost full outs (because the spades may hurt you).

Seeing a queen here is a good thing, although it would have been better if it weren't a spade. The Q gives you a straight draw along with your overcards.

I think betting the turn is alright, if there is some chance your opponent will fold here. What are you planning to do if he raises you?

I check/fold the river. He's hanging onto something on this board and that's probably going to be a jack.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check/fold this on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been pointed out a few times but I'll point it out again for dramatic effect (or something). This is the worst thing you could do here. A fit or fold mentality is not a profitable way to play.

The pot is quite big. You have more than enough odds to cover your outs (which are plentiful). Folding here is not a small error, it's a large error.

You must continue. I think betting out is better here because it forces people to make a decision about their stake in this hand now. The board is likely to have connected with very few people so you have good folding equity, especially true since you were the PF aggressor.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:12 PM

bank i have bet all 3 times but that is the rare play. i will check fold this river to an unknown 9 times out of 10
Old 04-23-2005, 12:23 PM

Preflop pretty easy there.

On the flop excellent, stay aggressive build the pot a little, chances are you still have the best hand especially after most of them fold. From your read you have to figure this guy could be calling with just about any two cards and not necessarily two cards that have you beat. That being said, one axiom to live by is to never bluff a calling station.

Which would lead me to check the turn. Using your read, if he bets then you know you are beat. The other two options put you in basically the same situation, you bet he calls, and you check he checks is pretty much equivalent against a guy you have pegged as a calling station.

And then another card that lends no help to your hand. A value bet doesn't seem to have much value when you haven't really made a hand. And there probably isn't much fold equity against a calling station. If he bets I fold, if he checks I hope to take it down, otherwise I tip my cap to a calling station that managed to outplay me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's checked through and he flips over some kind of pocket pair.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:21 PM

Bet the flop and the turn. If he doesn't have the flush but a low pair maybe he will fold for one bet (more than 1 out of 6 at least). If reraised fold. Check fold the river, if he called a preflop raiser with a paired flush board he won't fold this river for one more bet.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What will you do in response to his response? If you check and he bets, will you call, raise or fold? If you bet and he raises will you call, 3-bet or fold?

For my money, I doubt I'm getting called by a worse hand on this river, but a better hand may let it check through, so my inclination is to check/fold.

I'd probably check the turn, too. You got what you wanted on the flop, you're HU with the calling station, now find out if he's got a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, looks like most people feel betting out on the turn here is a bit too aggressive. My inclination is to
check/fold the river, but in the heat of play I would tend to check/call (which is likely a leak). I would
definitely not 3-bet a raise if I bet out though because I'm positive this guy wouldn't drop any hand.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:08 PM

Nice discussion here. I hope others learned as much as I did.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">

Hero checks, MP1 checks

Bankuri has Ad Kc (one pair, fives).
MP1 has As 9c (one pair, fives).
Outcome: Bankuri wins 8 BB. </font>
Old 04-23-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a leak. All your outs beat a jack, and its rare for someone to have a 5.

YOU CAN NOT CHECK/FOLD THESE SITUATIONS AND EXPECT TO BE A PROFITABLE PLAYER.

[/ QUOTE ]

not betting this flop would be terrible (almost as bad as folding preflop). I'd bet this turn as well - fold to a reraise - and check/fold the river.