Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: variance......or i suck.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm dealing with the same problem.

I started out at .50/1 and built my bank roll up to the 300BB I needed for 2/4. Not a small accomplishment if I say so myself. But the 2/4 game has consistently handed me my ass. I'm down 125BB over about 8k hands.

My theory is that the 2/4 players are actually more loose-aggressive than the lower levels. Their LAG non-strategies are finding what I thought were small leaks in my playing and ripping them wide open. So my "small" leaks are in fact gaping holes. The most aggrivating part is that my PT stats seem right where they're supposed to be.

My strategy is to go back to square one. I'm re-reading SSHE for the fourth time...and this time making notes on index cards after I've read each section. I've already found two significant missed-the-concept leaks that I can patch, and hope to find some more.

That's my theory, anyhow. May not apply to you at all, but thought I'd share hehe.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Play .5/1 08B. It really clears the mind.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone know if there is an easy way to check PT to see if your running poorly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I probably should have posted this in my first reply: PT Stats

[ QUOTE ]
as if these donks rivering there 2, 3, and 4 outers werent enough of a give away.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh. Am I the only one who only seems to notice the 2 outers when I'm losing? When I'm winning they just slide off my back and I can't even remember them. When I'm losing, I have to sit out an orbit while I cool off.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:44 PM

I've had two -100BB downswings at 1/2, and my winrate is still >2 over 15k hands. It ain't no thing.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:54 PM

100BB is no biggie. Last week I had lost 125BB at 2/4 and then managed to win it all back. I actually was somewhat glad to see that winning at poker was not so easy. I had steadily accumulated over 250BB and couldn't understand why I was winning. I've only been playing for 9 months and didn't think I deserved it. But there are quite a few "donks" out there that donate money to me at the tables.

If I were you I might stop the poker for a while and play backgammon. Of all the gambling games, poker and backgammon are the two best. It's no surprise that you see a lot of backgammon pros sitting at the final tables of WPT events (e.g. Gus Hansen).
Old 04-21-2005, 05:06 PM

Just make sure you play well. Every time I'm having a downswing I analyze my play. And every time I find out that it's not only cards coming badly. It's my play. I start to play badly. I make too many crying calls, I bluff too much, I call to much, I don't raise enough etc. It's probably some kind of a tilt. So when I realize that the reason of my downswing is myself, I usually take several days off, reread a book on poker and after that things start to go in the right direction. Just remember, cards don't have memory, losing 10 hands in a row doesn't increase the probability your losing the next one. Play well, don't tilt.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what other factors could be causing my losses at 2/4?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the "tilt factor"? If it's really getting to you (by the tone of your post this seems to be the case) take some time off. Evaluate your play, post some hands, read some books, etc, etc...

It also can be valuable to complete disengage yourself from poker for awhile. Take a few days to a week where you don't think about poker at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

When i have a session or two go down the drain, i always say to myself ill take off from the game...but then i realize its alll virtual and i get right back on and have a kick ass session...When its B&M its a totally different thing, i can keep myself away.

I'm not the greatest player but i have not had a downswing affect me more then 1k hands...you have to step WAY back and adjust your game if its not changing around. taking the GOOD advice from the friendly 2+2'r should help but it wont be the only factor deciding if you can pull this around.

Best advice i can give: GO GET YOURSELF SOME POOTANG, it gets the edge off and its +EV