Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Should I quit my job?

There is something to be said for having a cool job while in school man. I was a waiter and it was loads of fun, i met a lot of cool people and learned a lot of skills that probably help me out while trying to multi-table, talk on AIM, work and do ten other things.

My senior year I played a lot more poker and didn't work as much and it was much more of a 'grind' day to day.

I say live it up, have a ton of homegames with your buddies and play online poker as recreationally as possible. Play 50 200+15's a week if you must and pull of 1k or so and you'll be rich compared to your buddies.

You'll have plenty of time to make lots of money once you're in the real world.

Degen
Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 AM

"because they are lazy"

No, they are smart. Who actually wants to work for a living...
Old 04-20-2005, 07:00 AM

I appreciate all the input so far. I put in my 2 weeks notice at work. I figured i'd work like 2 days a week for the next 2 weeks so that I can leave the compant on good terms just in case I ever need a $10 an hour job again.
I have a few more questions mainly reguarding cashing out money. I was wondering how often you pro people cash out. One a month, a week? Also, how much do you take out in porportion to the amount of money you NEED to get by. Right now I only need like $800 a month for car insurance and rent/bills, so I dont know if I should take out $800 or much more. I am fairly sure I do not need much more than 20K on the net to play $215's, but I was planning on leaving it there so I might build up enough to 4 table the step 5's one day. Again, thanks for the input. I greatly appreciate it.

Jcardshark11 on Eurobet
Jcardshark on party and stars
Old 04-20-2005, 07:17 AM

If I had 20k for poker, I'd take 10 and just 8 table the $109s. Make more with much smaller BR swings.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:28 AM

I quit my $9/hr work study job about 3 months ago making much less than you in poker. It was one of the better decisions I made in the past year anyway.

Normally I'd agree with Raptor that it doesn't sound like you're ready to quit. But you waited until you made a solid amount before asking the community. But you're young, you have a social life outside work, and it sounds like you've got your head on right. Go for it.

You've probably made more in the past 3 months than you ever have at your job. Recalculate your BR requirement to include 1 month's living expenses. Spend some of it on things that make you happy. And invest too.

L8.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 AM

Sure! Quit!...$20 large is 100 buyins at the $215's; I don't think any quality poker-playing 2+2'er can have a downswing worse than maybe ten, or so. (If "IrieZen" are reading this, I think your 30-buyin downswing at the $109's is just a statistical aberration)...Besides, I'm sure that if Fiery blows the wad he can just borrow more from his parents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2005, 08:52 AM

Nice stats on Prophecy.

Is there a reason why you skipped over the $100's?

And yes I think quitting a $10/hr "job" (vs. a career) is a no-brainer.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate all the input so far. I put in my 2 weeks notice at work. I figured i'd work like 2 days a week for the next 2 weeks so that I can leave the compant on good terms just in case I ever need a $10 an hour job again.
I have a few more questions mainly reguarding cashing out money. I was wondering how often you pro people cash out. One a month, a week? Also, how much do you take out in porportion to the amount of money you NEED to get by. Right now I only need like $800 a month for car insurance and rent/bills, so I dont know if I should take out $800 or much more. I am fairly sure I do not need much more than 20K on the net to play $215's, but I was planning on leaving it there so I might build up enough to 4 table the step 5's one day. Again, thanks for the input. I greatly appreciate it.

Jcardshark11 on Eurobet

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were you, and you haven't already done this, I would turn a serious eye towards putting aside some savings. Especially if you're going to be in a high risk 'occupation' you'd do well to have 4-6 months of living expenses set aside in an emergency fund. I am a huge proponent of this for anyone, in any occupation, at any stage of life, but it seems like it would be a particularly good idea for you. Just set up a new account somewhere (ING Direct is a great online place) and stick a bunch of money in there and never touch it again (unless you have an 'emergency').

Also, if it was me, I'd set up a second account that was my living expense account. I'd put a couple extra months worth of income in there as a buffer, so that if I had a down month I wouldn't have the added stress of drawing against my already reduced bankroll. After I'd done both of the above, then I'd work on building my bankroll up for a bigger game.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:18 AM

You need to see how you handle a 35 buyin downswing first.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Jcardshark11 on Eurobet

[/ QUOTE ]

If yer JCardshark, yer doing just fine.