Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Becoming a better poker player

Just want to give my compliments for a great post, and to share a little camaraderie with a fellow full time graduate student [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just want to give my compliments for a great post, and to share a little camaraderie with a fellow full time graduate student [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

likewise. as usual.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:08 AM

Good post.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Good job duder.

If someone would be willing to put together a playbook of set plays, that would be a valuable resource. very valuable.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If someone would be willing to put together a playbook of set plays, that would be a valuable resource. very valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be amazing. WIth the set plays, include possible situations where it would be applicapable.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though I'm just a casual player, I'm still very interested in becoming better. I have a long term outlook of slow and steady development as a player. To give you a sense of how slow, I've moved all the way from $.50/$1 to $1/2 in the last 3.5 years. Mentally, I believe I'm ready for something like a $3/6 game, but the money isn't there (no time to whore for money) and the profit motive isn't there. So I'll just take my time and build up the safe 300 BB bankrolls I need to play within my limits (I'm a graduate student -- money is relatively scarce).

[/ QUOTE ]

aaron, this was strangly comforting to me. i felt kinda blue, kinda discouraged a ways back when some of the folk i was starting to recognize from posting, started moving to 2/4 and beyond. but the reality of the situation is that i simply can't commit the hours i need to to gain experience & learn & improve quickly & move limits at their pace.

it took me some time to realize that it's not a bad thing. for me, poker is for fun, for recreation. certainly i want to get better, but i shouldn't compare my growth to others who have different goals & aspirations for poker. when it's recreation, there really is nothing wrong with taking your time and not rushing the process.

thx again,
--oj.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Great post, and an excellent analogy.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm a full time graduate student. I don't have visions of using poker as a full or part-time job at any point in my future. I don't have many hours to spend reading poker books and playing poker. I'm very clearly in this with entertainment as my primary goal. This outlook dramatically affects how I approach the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just a friendly remark from my personal experience. Don't think too much about improving your game and try to spend as little time as possible playing and don't lose your focus on your studies. Things are very competitive out there and now is your chance to get the edge to land on that great job. Then you can play as much as you want - and not micros. Also poker is mentally demanding and I think there are more relaxing things to do in your spare time.

I hope I don't sound too patronising and I am sure you know all this already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all -- good advice is still good advice. There are probably some undergrads around here who should be focusing on their studies more and playing poker less and need to get a larger view on things.

There was a comment I meant to put in this paragraph, but I guess I forgot it. The last sentence should be followed with something like "As a result, I know there are natural barriers to my development." I seriously doubt I'm going to get into the true Game study stages while I'm a grad student, and while I'm trying to find a long-term position. Along these lines is an acknowledgement that while we all may want to play in the NBA, it's just not going to happen for most of us, no matter how hard we try.

This month, I've played a whopping 164 minutes of poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's no wonder that I'm only up to the $1/2 game.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:06 PM

A wonderfull post on all levels, (except the basketball, sorry. Cricket and rugby for me). I really appreciate the time you spent writing this. The continued support and enthusiasm from much more experienced players to help the newer members on this site continues to amaze me.

I have to admit that I don't know any set plays for WA/WB. The only one that I can think of is the check-call/ check/call/ bet line. Are there any others that I should know of?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:49 PM

Great post. I don't play or particularly enjoy basketball; and still a great post, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]