Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Ok, Now What?

This has been an enlightening thread for me. My advice--whcih blows by the way is to bet 120 on the turn. However this is how I always spew chips and blow large chip leads. I think with two opponents the above advice is good--you need to check/fold this.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MP (1000) is good, button (450) is ok/standard semi-knowledgable player playing on scared money. I (1100) have been playing pretty lazy and not really pushing it much in the last few hours. kinda felt like the type of table where that would be optimal.

Preflop:

MP limps, I limp with JT[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], button raises to 15 (this is a high pair or a draw to one), blinds fold, MP calls, I call.

flop (50): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP checks, I bet $40, Button calls, MP calls

turn (170): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP checks, I...

I think there's a good case for betting again here, but i also wouldn't mind checking this one through in case MP is planning a turn checkraise with AK or 88 (both of which i can see him possibly playing this way, maybe).

So there are lots of lines, including some out there ones that i feel have some merit. what's your favorite?

also, leading into button on this flop is a given W/R stack sizes, right or no?

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, just check this turn, nothing else is remotely sane.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about checking and pushing against a weak button bet which MP folds when facing...?

fim
Old 04-20-2005, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

what about checking and pushing against a weak button bet which MP folds when facing...?

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no no

fim you know so much better

you say he's playing on scared money. a weak bet could just be him not wanting to throw out a "real" bet, but accomplishing more or less the same thing

if he throws out a weak bet, lets say just 85, if you c/r him the rest, he needs to call ~300 to win ~950. whats he laying down that he bets the turn w/ given your read? QQ / JJ doesnt call the flop. AA KK AK you're screwed. KQ calls. So that means he maybe folds AQ, (or AJ) and both are getting such a good price. plus if he is playing scared and just calls the fairly drawy flop he'll control pot size and check it through, no?

i dont know if i like check folding or check calling better, but i dont like check raising.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:59 AM

I see his flop action as being prohibitive of him holding any of the hands you're afraid of...

fim
Old 04-20-2005, 06:07 AM

I suck at poker.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:57 AM

I mean... I have a LOT to learn.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:02 AM

Check and proceed with extreme caution. Aces, kings, and AK all have you drawing dead, not to mention hands like KQ where you straighten out only to find your opponent has filled. With two opponents calling a decent flop bet, bluffing here doesn't seem smart. Do not back this hand with your whole stack no matter what hits the river.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 04-20-2005, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to bet because there's are large chance they are going to fold if they don't have an ace or king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think the odds of this have decreased after they both call a flop bet on an AK high board??
Old 04-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Haven't read any of the responses yet. I like the flop lead, but what do you do if raised?

As for the turn, I like a check too, there are a lot of options and I'd be more inclined to be if it was headsup, but since it isn't, someone is sitting on something and it would really suck not being able to see a river card due to a hard turn check-raise.

PS~ you in med school yet? Where you going next year?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 PM

i check this you cant play a big pot here and theres a real good chance button will give you a free card here unless he is real strong, MP protects you as the button plays scared, a bet is only chip spewing