Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: A big key to why the big name poker(tournament) players do so well!

While this post is certainly true, this has been an idea that most everyone in the know has been privy to for quite some time. This is clearly not the only thing that makes them great. Clearly there are plenty of players in each of the big tourney's (I'd guess 100 to 200 in each) that the money doesn't mean that much to them and they can play without fear. Of these players, the same ones make it to the final table with quite a bit of frequency. Daniel is a perfect example. And last year was not the first year he was successfull. He won plenty of tournaments before last year to show how good of a player he is.

Good post, but tons of information missing. There's about 200 other reasons why the big name players are great. You missed almost all of them.

Peace

Goodie
Old 04-20-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: They discovered the paragraph?

Please take a breath when posting. Us olde folks have lines running together when you do not use paragraphs. usually 2-3 sentences and break.

otherwise it looks like kjhgdauygrorlqakbflakbfvlaksjfhlakflaaafalskkflaks hffalsuhfaluhfaldhfalskdhfaksdhffasudahrt43iraiuhf ccc3824ycqqqqhcqhc
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
thank you,
very olde drunk
Old 04-20-2005, 10:48 AM

I agree with the general principle of this thread but all it does is highlight the real issue. If you are a 'very good' player, you might have some positive equity in these tourneys -- but your bankroll is quite unlikely to afford you the chance to play many $10,000 tourneys to actually earn that positive equity. the fact is that the simple variance is going to eat most of the players up --- some of which are very-well bankrolled.

if you have a couple hundred people who really know what they are doing, you are going to have to deal with a lot of losing. look at Erik Seidel and Chris Ferguson... great players who play ALL of the big events but who go for long stretches without much to show for it. if you play less than ALL of the big events, you can go a VERY long time without earning much money.

I would bet that many many players on the circuit are deluding themselves of the realities of bankroll variance in tournament poker. Given the payout structure of these tourneys, it is really a tough gig.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You want to know what seperates these guys? Here it is. They play with less fear! They know either because of good financial situation or backing that there will always be another big tournament around the corner. So there is no fear of being knocked out and losing this huge opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a lot of truth to this. I like playing in the daily tourneys in ac, but i only get to play in maybe one a month. so when i am there, getting knocked out is horrible, because i know i won't get another shot for a while. i try to avoid this thinking and play my game but i think it affects my decisions.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:20 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Playing To Survive Vs. Playing For The Money

Foxwoods is a 100 mile trip for me. I hadn't been there in awhile, so I went down and played a Thursday morning tourney. My goal was just to make the money. I finished 30th out of 250, just making the money (almost finished on the bubble)

Then I went down the following week and the event was cancelled due to a snowstorm, so I trekked down there the next week after that. My goal that time was to make the money, not just place. I could play 10 events and finish "just in the money" all 10 times and not clear as much profit as if I lost 9 times and took a 1st-3rd spot just once.

Anyway, that time I made the final table and snagged 9th place (short-stacked and pushed from LP with A/3 suited and ran into a blind who held J/J)

By not having fear about losing the event, by going for the gusto and being willing to take risks, you can put yourself into better situations. You can amass a much larger chip stack and last longer by taking risks that many other players just trying to survive would pass up.

The pros know this, and they make use of it. With blinds/antes rising, stealing becomes very important. Putting pressure on the players who are just trying to survive allows the pros to take down uncontested pots and pad their chip stacks, allowing them to take additional risks.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:21 PM

Yes it may be a tough gig. But if your in the inner cirlce might not be too bad. As your buddies or backers will keep giving you chances and eventually your gonna hit. Then when that happens its party time. And with the added bonus of if you win you can get celebrity status and benefit with tons of endorsements thrown at you. Makes it worth while for some.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:29 PM

Granted the best players make more right decisions than others. My point is the best players do not have to be the big name tournament players only. And some of the big name players make worse decisions than some unknowns because they are not the best, but in a great situtation. The unknowns may be at the kitchen table in michigan. But will never be known, as they don't have the opportunities of other big name players or rich people have.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Playing To Survive Vs. Playing For The Money

[ QUOTE ]
Foxwoods is a 100 mile trip for me. I hadn't been there in awhile, so I went down and played a Thursday morning tourney. My goal was just to make the money. I finished 30th out of 250, just making the money (almost finished on the bubble)

Then I went down the following week and the event was cancelled due to a snowstorm, so I trekked down there the next week after that. My goal that time was to make the money, not just place. I could play 10 events and finish "just in the money" all 10 times and not clear as much profit as if I lost 9 times and took a 1st-3rd spot just once.

Anyway, that time I made the final table and snagged 9th place (short-stacked and pushed from LP with A/3 suited and ran into a blind who held J/J)

By not having fear about losing the event, by going for the gusto and being willing to take risks, you can put yourself into better situations. You can amass a much larger chip stack and last longer by taking risks that many other players just trying to survive would pass up.

The pros know this, and they make use of it. With blinds/antes rising, stealing becomes very important. Putting pressure on the players who are just trying to survive allows the pros to take down uncontested pots and pad their chip stacks, allowing them to take additional risks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks for sharing. This is why I love 2+2. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]