Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: leaving poker at the table

I honeslty think its healthy to think about your game alot when away from the table...I think about my poker game all the time. If for some reason though your thinking about it while out to dinner with your gf etc...then you have a deeper problem
Old 04-19-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also like responses that dont' tell me to take time off.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you ask for help and then tell us you don't actually want any. Would you also like us to tell you how to lose weight without eating less or excercising more?

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty narrow minded to think that the only way to think about poker less is by not playing. I'm sure that this problem occurs in many high stress job environments also. I think wall street traders who can make a lot or lose a lot in any given day may expereience this problem. I think doctors (particularly surgons) can also expereience this probelm. I'm sure that there are people with these professions who are able to leave their jobs at work without having to take extended breaks from them. You dont?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Btw, where do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

i play online.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do play 4-6 hours a day every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your main problem. I don't care what you do for a living, you must have days off from work.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:22 PM

There's a big diference between thinking about poker a lot to get better, and worrying about poker.

Your brain is probably trying to make you a better player.

A famous and highly successful poker player said during an interview that, from the very beginning of his career, he thinks about poker a lot when he is not playing. He is constantly going through previous hands, thinking about mistakes, and how he would play them differently next time. Constantly thinking about how to get better. Things have worked out well for him, so far.
(P.S. It was Phil Ivey)
Old 04-20-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I do play 4-6 hours a day every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play EVERY day? If you play 32 hours a week, try playing four straight 8 hour days and then taking 3 days off.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:16 PM

i do play about 30-40 hours a week. playing for 8 hours in 1 day is too exhausting.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:06 PM

Are you playing at the right stakes?

If you play too high, you may be worried about the swings unless you are used to it already.

If you play too low, you may be worried about paying the bills ontime.

If you are already at the right stakes, then just stop doing it.

It's kind of like playing tight. You just decide to do it, and then do it.

If you really can't, then finding a totally different hobby as another poster suggested, may help you.

One other thing that I can think of right now. It may help you to dress a little differently when you are in your 'poker' mindset. That way, when you change your clothes, (or style or whatever) you will be able to more clearly delineate the other areas of your life.

Good Luck,

Dov
Old 04-21-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A famous and highly successful poker player said during an interview that, from the very beginning of his career, he thinks about poker a lot when he is not playing. He is constantly going through previous hands, thinking about mistakes, and how he would play them differently next time. Constantly thinking about how to get better. Things have worked out well for him, so far.
(P.S. It was Phil Ivey)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's great if you're a dedicated pro and have no other responsibilities that require your mental energy.

But most of us have day jobs and/or families or other responsibilities that require a head that is not preoccupied with whether or not they should have read that flush against their top pair earlier that day.

I sympathize with the OP. I spend too much of my mental energy thinking about poker as well.

eastbay
Old 04-21-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty narrow minded to think that the only way to think about poker less is by not playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're being pretty narrow minded by ignoring a lot of good advice that you're getting in this thread.

I can guarantee that you will burn out soon if you continue to play 7 days a week. In any job, you must have some off days if you're going to maintain your mental health.