Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: I feel lost again

I like it except for the river bet. I'm thinking Villain will fold anything you beat but call with a bunch of marginal hands that beat you. There's also a pretty decent chance Villain will check behind a bunch of hands that beat you. I'm usually check-folding here, unless I can count on CO to bluff at the river once in a while, in which case I'm check-calling.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same thru the turn. I check the river and call an UTG bet + CO fold, fold to a bet otherwise. I'm expecting CO to be hanging in with a pocket pair, which by definition beats your hand.

I don't like betting the river at all, as I can't see very many people calling with a hand you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that.

[ QUOTE ]
Good call, CO had 55. I guess I was more focused on UTG's hand (I'm guessing AQ-AT) ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be careful of the players who are just hanging around in the background during a hand...they are there for a reason.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:47 AM

Especially when the hangers around are always the people most likely to be in there calling on the river.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 AM

What's the WSD% for the two villains? If its high enough, you know for sure a river bet is not a good idea. As it stands, I'd pretty much never bet that river -- there aren't a whole lot of busted draws available, and really all you can beat is a bluff with bottom pair.

I don't blame you for the PF and flop calls... you *might* have gotten tricky and found a raise on the flop to clear the field, but I think this is much more likely spewing chips than it is effective poker. Save a bet and check-fold the river, otherwise NH.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:43 PM

I'll (stupidly, I'm sure) go against the grain and say I like the river bet. It's not a good place to bet hoping for people with worse hands to call, but I think there's a decent chance both people will fold. UTG probably doesn't have a K, or he'd have bet the turn. Same goes for CO, who doesn't have a 6 for the same reason. You do have to worry about pocket pairs (and a lucky 7), but I think they have two high cards or a low pocket pair they'll fold often enough to make this bet worth it.

Is this a bet if you know UTG will fold and CO has 55? (I'm really asking-- I would say yes, but sounds like most people would say no.)
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a bet if you know UTG will fold and CO has 55? (I'm really asking-- I would say yes, but sounds like most people would say no.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you knew you were only up against one guy with 55, then it's an obvious bet. He'll fold enough to make that play profitable. I also disagree with your contention that most people would say no.