Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Trips 2

[ QUOTE ]
Check-fold the flop. You have a marginal hand, and the pot is small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to agree with Rob here, MP heads-up is pretty good.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand looks good to me. I hate any advice saying "check-fold the flop," and though it might be mathematically correct to fold to the flop raise, I generally peel lightly when I think villain might be getting frisky with a hand like J9, etc., that he'd check behind on the turn.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree check folding is bad with a pair heads up against a single other hand. Folding to the flop raise opens you up to getting raised a lot more in small pots when you're out of position, so calling it and check folding the turn unimproved would be fine, because he is likely only betting better hands if we check to him on the turn. Obviously there's some chance he'd have a 5 or a pocket pair that he'd raise on the flop, but calling down without improving would be a loose call down against most players for whom you have no reads.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really, check/fold? Even HU with a random limper? Second pair seems to justify a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, forgetting about what your first action is (eg check or bet), suppose the villan raises. How often do you think your hand is good? Assuming we don't improve, we are getting about 2.5:3 effective odds all the way to the river. Remember, this opponent is passive. Passive opponents dont bluff frequently, and they especially dont bluff-raise. Do you think we are good here close to 50% of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with that read is that it probably came from observation during multiway hands or just PT stats. Heads up, players play very differently, especially when they realize you're a better player and will "respect" a raise. That said, I agree that calling this raise is probably -EV somewhat, but the fact that I'm going to prevent people from taking shots at me later at that table is worth that money, imo.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:46 PM

Check-fold the flop.

Haha this is why a little HU session every once in a while is good for your game. You just can't give up this quickly in pots where you don't flop big.

Brad
Old 04-17-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree check folding is bad with a pair heads up against a random hand. Folding to the raise opens you up to getting raised a lot more in small pots when you're out of position, so calling it and check folding the turn unimproved would be fine, because he is likely only betting better hands if we check to him on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can go along with this.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-fold the flop.

Haha this is why a little HU session every once in a while is good for your game. You just can't give up this quickly in pots where you don't flop big.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be.