Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: My buddy berated me for this hand.commnts pls on this major suckou

[ QUOTE ]
You could also be drawing dead if the board pairs. You could also have to split the pot even if it hits.

I see this kind of reasoning all the time, people making horrible bets preflop and on the flop the forcing themselves to continue because they made themselves have potodds to chase god-knows-what.

I don't know what you want to hear. If you want to build pots with highly marginal hands and then count pot odds, do so. I think its horrible poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize your reasoning here is completely wrong.

The preflop call is bad, the flop call is 100% correct.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:40 AM

He has odds to chase the straight, yes. But this kind of strategy will make him a loser in SnG's. For me postflop is 10 times less interesting than preflop in this hand. I realize OP would rather discuss postflop since he sucked out.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You could also be drawing dead if the board pairs. You could also have to split the pot even if it hits.

I see this kind of reasoning all the time, people making horrible bets preflop and on the flop the forcing themselves to continue because they made themselves have potodds to chase god-knows-what.

I don't know what you want to hear. If you want to build pots with highly marginal hands and then count pot odds, do so. I think its horrible poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize your reasoning here is completely wrong.

The preflop call is bad, the flop call is 100% correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why even play poker if your so paranoid? Lets not blow this out of proportion. I think my flop call was very iffy, espcially considering my stack size. Now if I had 2000 chips early in a sng with 10 people still left is it still a huge mistake, considering I will play the flop correctly? pot odds, implied odds are huge. I will admit, I got bailed out very nicely when that A hit, but I have to call that flop with the action that just took place.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize OP would rather discuss postflop since he sucked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, not really. I want to look at both streets. By the way, semi-tilt plus a few coronas made me do it.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:44 AM

So basically you post a hand where you know you made a huge mistake and expect to hear what?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why even play poker if your so paranoid? Lets not blow this out of proportion. I think my flop call was very iffy, espcially considering my stack size. Now if I had 2000 chips early in a sng with 10 people still left is it still a huge mistake, considering I will play the flop correctly? pot odds, implied odds are huge. I will admit, I got bailed out very nicely when that A hit, but I have to call that flop with the action that just took place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Preflop call is terrible. You're probably dominated. It's still level 1, and the blinds are 10/15. If you call the preflop raise, and miss the flop, you're left with 455 in chips. A severe shortstack when the blinds get up to 25/50 and beyond. Preflop call is not just iffy, it's wrong.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Fold preflop
2. Fold on the flop
3. If you are going to ignore 1 & 2, getting the ace on the river was smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to sugar coat anything. I posted this hand to get different opinions. I'm curious to what made you change your mind about the flop play?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He has odds to chase the straight, yes. But this kind of strategy will make him a loser in SnG's. For me postflop is 10 times less interesting than preflop in this hand. I realize OP would rather discuss postflop since he sucked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even going to begin to defend his preflop call, but when a regular poster says to fold this flop, I want anybody reading this thread to know that advice is wrong.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:49 AM

Who said I changed my mind?

With 0 chips you have 0% chance to get in the money.
With 455 chips you have a slim chance to make the money
with 2k chips you have a slim chance to make the money since you are drunk and make stupid decisions.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who said I changed my mind?

With 0 chips you have 0% chance to get in the money.
With 455 chips you have a slim chance to make the money
with 2k chips you have a slim chance to make the money since you are drunk and make stupid decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your wrong on all accounts. 455 is workable this early. With the 2K in chips I coasted to the money. And lastly, a couple coronas does not get me drunk.