Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Midlimit floaters

[ QUOTE ]
I also would not float against a weak tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think the absolute opposite is true and they're the prime targets i look for.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:36 AM

How about floating weaker hands vs. a weak tight player? Like, floating suited connectors or suited one gappers or baby pairs? Lets say for the sake of argument you know both blinds are going to fold. Or weaker hands vs. a good player? If you are trying to get away with floating hands like AJ, why not hands like 98s or 55?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:56 AM

I think most people do this to just to F#*@# with you on the flop or later in the hand. In most situations it seems they almost always call or raise you on the flop, it seems like i rarely see someone "float" and fold to your flop bet.

By not 3-betting pre-flop they can just take one off for the same price on the flop and then see what you do on the turn.

It confuses the sh#@$T out of me as to where they are at in the hand and sometimes they have Aces and sometimes they have trash, but they play on the fact that your good enought to check/fold or bet/raise/fold the turn and sometimes, well, they just get lucky. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 01:02 PM

I think some people here are way too dogmatic about 3 betting or folding. Especially when you are playing at 30-60 and are playing against the same people, you've got to randomize you play. Every hand is not played in a vacuum. With some hands, it may be correct to 3 bet against the villain if that were the only hand you were ever going to play against him. But switching between 3 betting and cold calling gives you many more dgerees of freedom. Especially if you ocassionally cold call with a premium hand, you have the opportunity to see a flop somewhat cheaply with something like a suited connector, but represent a premium hand and make the villain fold a better hand. Also, cold calling allows you to represent low cards when rags flop.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
40-80 Game

Solid Tricky Good player raises in EP with something,

I have ATo-AQo in the CO or Button. This is where I float.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Did you mean: </font> <font color="blue"> fold </font>
Old 04-17-2005, 01:08 PM

if you find that your opponent is weak and will make a lot of mistakes and give you free cards and free shots at them i think floating weaker hands would/could/should? work against them.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Assuming both of the blinds still fold, yes this will be the case. However, the blinds will come along for one more bet much much more often than for two and 3 players for 2 bets each plus a dead small blind is a much harder pot to win than two players for 3 bets each and dead big and small blinds. Of course, this is mitigated somewhat by the fact that it only costs you two bets to see the flop so the postflop expectation required to break even is only 2/3 as much.

I don't think the lack of preflop aggression is necessarilly much of a problem. Put yourself in EP's shoes, when you're coldcalled by a solid player on the button are you really less scared than you would be if he had three bet?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:51 PM

I can't wait to move to 30-60.

The only floaters that you will see from me can be found in the toilet.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pfr's auto flop bet

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean good players still auto-bet the flop?.

[ QUOTE ]
also it disguises the strength of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

How?. I can see the mixing value, ie. it allows you to play hands that, really you shouldn't be playing, but don't you just lose too much by not 3-betting preflop with AA, KK?.

[ QUOTE ]
though I'd suspect 3-betting any holding would be better

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in this camp too.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, the blinds will come along for one more bet much much more often than for two

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this part of the crux of the problem?. By not 3-betting (one more bet), you are exposing yourself to losing the pot to the blinds that wouldn't be there had you 3-bet.

I believe a wise one called that a "mathematical catastrophe" once in a paper "The Eight Mistakes in Poker". This was one of the worst mistakes, the ones that good players rarely make: "Calling instead of Raising".

Edited: The term "mathematical catastrophe" was not used in the paper named, but it could have been in this situation. Also, there's no guarantee that the blinds will not call if one reraises, but at least they will be paying full price for the ride.