Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Question about Extracting Value

Getting 6-1 with a PP closing the action PF with good position relative to the raiser post-flop is a dead easy call.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 6-1 with a PP closing the action PF with good position relative to the raiser post-flop is a dead easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good position meaning that if he comes in again you can close when it gets back around?

And if the flop misses you with these you would check/fold?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm the only one folding the ducks PF. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. Just because folding is wrong doesn't mean you are the only one who would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would play this because of the discounted price due to being on the BB? Because I'm made nervous by the raise and two calls plus the fact that half the field has folded and I'm OOP. I guess I would assume that the raiser or one of the callers (if not more than one) is on a higher pair at this point...

[/ QUOTE ]

If the raiser showed me that he held AA, this is an auto-call.

Do you see why?

[I hate it when people ask that.]
Old 04-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Unless I'm wrong which is very possible...

It doesn't really matter that you are OOP when you are going for a set. It can be *argued* that being in the SB or the BB can be a slight advantage because you have more of an opportunity to close the action and you get to act first on the flop if you make your set. I.e. you get to be first to drive out flush draws and such or you get to go for a check raise if you have an aggressive EP player who raised.

Position means a WHOLE lot more when you are playing Suited Connectors.

-Gryph
Old 04-14-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm the only one folding the ducks PF. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. Just because folding is wrong doesn't mean you are the only one who would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would play this because of the discounted price due to being on the BB? Because I'm made nervous by the raise and two calls plus the fact that half the field has folded and I'm OOP. I guess I would assume that the raiser or one of the callers (if not more than one) is on a higher pair at this point...

[/ QUOTE ]

If the raiser showed me that he held AA, this is an auto-call.

Do you see why?

[I hate it when people ask that.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, based on the other posts I would say it's based simply on the 6:1 you're getting on the initial call. I don't mind the "do you see why?" question -- I'm finding this thread (like all of them) most educational. The point is for me to throw stuff out there and learn from those who know more, right?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good position meaning that if he comes in again you can close when it gets back around?

And if the flop misses you with these you would check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good position regardless of your flop line.

You can check, if he bets the action goes through the other players before you so if it goes Villain bets, call, call, you can drop the hammer.

You can lead, if he has an overpair he'll pop you back, if he has big overcards he'll probably call anyway.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:11 PM

True, but if you miss your set and you are last to act, you can often steal the pot when the flop misses everyone.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, but if you miss your set and you are last to act, you can often steal the pot when the flop misses everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I don't understand here is that you aren't last to act unless the PFR opens after your check (assuming you've missed the flop). In that case you're probably not raising, right? (again, I'm assuming missing the flop here, not hitting trips at the OP did).

Speaking of: sorry, OP, for getting so off your original post. Hope this discussion is useful to you.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:19 PM

Fold he has 96
Old 04-14-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true...which is why it is an *arguable* point, definately not set in stone. I think the advantage is a bit of a slippery slope because it is highly influenced by the level of tightness/aggressiveness of the game. I tend to think it is to my advantage in a loose aggressive game to get a PP in the SB/BB and a disadvantage in a Tighter game.

-Gryph